Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 01:45 AM

Default Your part-time job as a teenager - The worst thing you had to do..

It could be a summer job, or a part-time job, but it should be something you had as a 14 to 18 year-old to make some bucks while you were still in school.

When I was 16 I worked as a stock boy at Kresge's (they used to be part of Kmart). They had a litte restaurant/cafe style thing that some of you might rememeber. It was horseshoe shaped sections with individual barstools.

Once a month I had to clean the grease-trap that was underneath the main sink in the kitchen. I used to have to climb a ladder in the stock room to get at it.

I would scoop a bucket of the foulest smelling stuff known to man from the grease-trap, take it down the ladder, put it in a thick bag, go puke, and then head up the ladder again for another bucket.

I told a plumber friend of mine about this and he said that the stuff in grease traps is worse than raw sewage when it comes to the puke factor.

What's the worst think you had to do in your part-time job as a kid?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Your part-time job as a teenager - The worst thing you had to do..

I almost enjoyed the grease trap because whoever was doing it with me would invariably turn the most awesome shades of green. Also I always got sloshed on the bosses dime before doing it.

My least favorite job was cleaning and putting away dry suits after open water certification. Its not cool to pee in your dry suits people, not cool at all.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:50 AM

high school summer job for min. wage - the prep week before summer school started. Basically just carrying heavy crap to and from classrooms. Doing whatever the teachers asked you to do. Filing papers, filling envelopes, etc.

Thank God that only lasted a few days and I went up to the tennis courts to teach for the next 6 weeks (for min wage, but much easier).
Old 11-14-2006, 01:54 AM

Two summer jobs were pretty unenjoyable...

One was doing data entry for a doctor. I literally sat for eight hours a day scanning medical documents into a computer and then shredding the paper files as they were no longer needed. Did that 40+ hours a week for about 12 weeks in a row...and that was a great tactic, because I couldn't WAIT to get back to class.

The next summer I wanted something less boring, but the only thing I could find that paid worth a damn was a job setting up and tearing down furniture for a corporate housing company. The company rented apartments all over town and then sublet them to big corporations who would need certain employees to be in town for say 3-6 months. But they only kept the furnishings in the apartments that were being sublet at that time...that changed constantly, so basically I was a 1-man mover of heavy crap. Oh, and that was in Houston, Texas...where summer makes people go crazy and kill small animals.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:55 AM

Worked for a county park. Got to help clean the restrooms after the weekend. The worst was when someone crapped, missed the tiolet and left a nice pile to harden and stick to floor over the weekend. When monday came we had to scrape it off the floor because the hose would not do the trick.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:56 AM

At McD's I once split the bucket the grease trap is dumped into on myself
Old 11-14-2006, 01:56 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans, if you think about it.

i did housekeeping and laundry at a hotel, cleaning toilets and showers and wiping up other peoples pubic hairs is always fun. so is trying to get blood stains out of sheets.

it wasn't that bad, really.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:06 AM

cleaning a woman's period that was all over the bathroom floor at a ski resort
Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 AM

Once, when I was scrubbing down the flat top for the night, I got a little overzealous getting into a corner, and a splash of mixed grill brick, hot grease, and food bits shot directly into my eye. Hurt like mad.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:15 AM

Worked as an assistant to a carpenter who did home renovations. One time, he decided not to have the insulation blown into the ceiling of an addition and instead we threw a bunch of bags of r20 insulation up there, then after the drywall was on the ceiling I climbed up there and layed the insulation. It was about 90 degrees out and I got literally covered in fiberglass insultation. Not fun.

Another time I had to clean some paint up in a basement or something and all I had to use was purple gas, with no mask. Not real easy on the lungs.

We also used to have to pull stucco off houses a lot, which was brutal work, pounding on the stucco to get it loose, then cutting the wire base, then pulling it loose from the nails that held it to the walls. Hours of dusty, backbreaking work while standing on a ladder.