Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 08:48 PM

Default AQo cold call in SB

So, I really hate playing AQo out of position, much less reraising it. But it is probably preferable, sicne it is likely that button is stealing.

So, I cold called in the SB, to see what happened.

Aha, checked thru on the flop? Interesting. Comments all around.

This is hand two of my crappy, passive, f'ed up series!

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Todd is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
5 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, Todd calls, BB folds, MP3 calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7SB, 3 players)
Todd checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3.5BB, 3 players)
Todd checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">Todd raises</font>,
Old 11-13-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Re: AQo cold call in SB

Bad. MP3 open-limped in MP3 so he's probably loose or passive or both. Then he checked the flop which could have been a c/r attempt. Even if he's taking a stab with 44 he may well call down with it.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 PM

3-bet preflop you nit.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:06 PM

3-bet preflop you nit.

--

Oh, I agree. I am trying to figure out where I am missing PFR's as well as spots where I am reverting to passive play. On this hand I played PF and flop like a donkey, and then woke up to find some aggression on the turn...which may or may not have been the right play.

Crappy hands are your friend if you learn from them...
Old 11-13-2006, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and then woke up to find some aggression on the turn...which may or may not have been the right play

[/ QUOTE ]

It is sometimes correct to semibluff-raise big cards on this board, but usually you want position and you want good reason to believe the bettor does NOT have a strong hand. Here villain's play is consistent with Tx or a flopped monster, and you're OOP and therefore putting yourself in an ugly river spot if MP3 flat calls.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:08 PM

Anyone fold this one PF?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:09 PM

Here villain's play is consistent with Tx or a flopped monster

===

or with air, which he had, since he folded.

But again, outcome oriented thinking is not your friend when you misplay a hand...
Old 11-13-2006, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone fold this one PF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only with a read that villian has a tiny PFR range.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 PM

Awfully small pot to be trying this in. Villain acted before the pfr'er, so he could have any number of reasons for checking the flop with TP. There's also a decent chance that he'll call down with any smaller pair he saw fit to bet.

Pf is probably strong enough to raise, especially if there's a decent chance that Button is raising a wide range (and even better if there's a reasonable chance of pushing out the limper), but I don't mind coolcalling hands like AJo, so meh. Our relative position makes up at least some of what we might lose out on.

If you're really not comfortable re-raising hands like this OOP, start by looking for opportunities to do it with position vs people with a wide range (aggressive raisers + people likely to be stealing light), or people who are likely to fold a lot of missed flops. You'll naturally get some OOP practice when you open raise AQo up front (which is another good place to start if you're not already doing so).

I used to fold AQo to a raise by default at full ring except under specifically favourably circumstances. I grew out of it, but there are worse things in the world than being a little overly cautious in raised pots (esp. OOP) if you're not comfortable with your post flop game. Baby steps.

And don't be so hard on yourself. We get beat up too much by our opponents to get in on the action on their behalf. You already play better than the vast majority of your opponents and there's every reason to think that you'll get better over time if you keep putting in the effort. It might just be the byproduct of a fragile ego, but I find it necessary to remind myself from time to time that even though I'm not nearly as good as I think I should be by now, I'd much rather be starting tomorrow from where I am than go back to square one.

Happy pokering.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:51 PM

Nice post detruncate.

I try to be self-effacing with my crappy hands, because everyone has a hand like this (in some way or another) in every session. Historicall, I play well (on the bankroll or BB/100 scale), but like most people, I fall into bad habits.

Posting here (or in STT or stud or wherever) helps to cleanse the soul, since, while the criticism can be withering, it is generally well intended, and is always educational.

My post flop play is usually a stronger part of my game, these two posts excepted. However, I get frustrated when I PFR OOP, and then c-bet a dry flop. It is a pretty empty feeling.

So in this hand, I am trying to find places where I can play more deceptively OOP, and if the flop is completely dry, get away with a minimum of loss.

Todd