Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Push or fold ?

I have been in the following kind of situation a few times the last few days, and don't like the way I played it (so no need to make fun of me, I know I played it wrong). Just asking for opinions.

5-10NL 6 handed. Someone in middle position raises to 30 and I call from BB with something like AJo or AQo. Now we are Heads up, and lets assume we both have appr. 1K in chips.

Flop comes Jxx or Qxx (giving me top pair, ace kicker).
I make pot size bet (say 65), he raises to 165.

What now. I have been calling this bet, but that can't be right, because what do I do when he bets big on turn. In my view this must be a fold or push situation, leaning towards pushing.

I would like to learn from you guys. You are welcome to comment on preflop as well as my flop bet, but I am more interested in what to do about his raise.

Thanks,
MHunt
Old 02-01-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Push or fold ?

The xx is pretty important, as is whether the board was rainbow or not.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:15 AM

Quickest answer yet. Wow, thanks.
rainbow, no str8 raw, basically a "safe" flop. And I have no read on the villain
Old 02-01-2006, 11:19 AM

I would call here against an unknown and see what happens on the turn. It's likely he has top pair or an overpair, or maybe he's just raising 88-TT/AK or something because he thinks you're full of [censored] leading into him like that.

On the turn you need to work out which of these he has. These games aren't really all that aggressive so if he continues betting strong you may want to give it up. Sorry I can't be of more help, it's pretty much a read/feel thing.

Against a complete rock I'd fold the flop but obviously you have no read. Pushing the flop against all but the most retarded of players is awful.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:26 PM

Calling raises with offsuit aces in the BB is not often a good idea. If there's a lot of people in the pot, you can call your AQ because the pot will often be played "honestly" without much bluffing and you can tell whether your one pair will be good. But otherwise you're playing a hand that flops one pair, out of position, which is usually a bad thing unless you have a real short stack or a real good read.

As regards the hands postflop, pushing is a mistake. He's folding worse hands and calling with bigger ones, and on a rainbow board neither of you is going to outdraw the other very often. So it's call or fold.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call here against an unknown and see what happens on the turn. It's likely he has top pair or an overpair, or maybe he's just raising 88-TT/AK or something because he thinks you're full of [censored] leading into him like that.

On the turn you need to work out which of these he has. These games aren't really all that aggressive so if he continues betting strong you may want to give it up. Sorry I can't be of more help, it's pretty much a read/feel thing.

Against a complete rock I'd fold the flop but obviously you have no read. Pushing the flop against all but the most retarded of players is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

pace yourself, the next voting for top ten posters isnt for another 2-3 months.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:39 PM

so u suggest folding AJ and AQ offsuit in the blinds from a button steal?

nit?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so u suggest folding AJ and AQ offsuit in the blinds from a button steal?

nit?

[/ QUOTE ]

not really? What is your answer to the OP's question, then?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:40 PM

I do not advocate folding offsuit broadways aces from bb to a raise in most cases, but obviously it depends on the raiser..
If he will raise light, but will dump to a 3 bet, then you obviously wanna 3 bet.
If he raises only premium hands and never steals, there is not much reason to call, unless you are planning on stealing the pot.
I mean this is all basic stuff.
I dont like playing offsuit Aces OOP, but i will 3 bet a lp raise, from a chronic stealer and depending on the player, might even 3 bet a raise in middle position.

Another option is calling the raise and leading or CR'ing flop to a button steal, depending on what the stealer's tendencies are.
If you are having trouble with such situations, then i think you need to go back to "tight in early and loose in late"
It will help you avoid such marginal situations
Old 02-01-2006, 03:49 PM

thabadguy, I appreciate your answer, but we are discussing NL, not limit. Makes a big big difference in this case, so maybe you want to revise your post ?