Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Pure frusteration? Or a reasonable bluff attempt?

Villain is probably one of you guys. He's a solid, winning TAG who is 27/24/2.4 over ~200 hands. He's on my left, and I'm starting to feel picked on. I was running bad for the session, and almost everytime I raised from button or CO, he was 3betting me. I missed everytime and folded before showdown. So I'm looking pretty weak-tight, and his stats on me surely just add to the problem (I'm like 22/16).

So this hand came up, and I thought it was an appropriate time to bluff - I figured it would shutdown alot of his range (most pocket pairs and better Kings).. I assumed he was raising me pretty lightly at this point, but he may have just been running well. More than anything, I was pissed off and wanted him to fold so I could show and switch up my image a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Limit: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>

So, what do you think?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Pure frusteration? Or a reasonable bluff attempt?

I vote pure frustration.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:25 PM

Unless he has an A, you can probably get him to lay down here if you keep firing. However, don't forget you are OOP against a better player.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless he has an A, you can probably get him to lay down here if you keep firing. However, don't forget you are OOP against a better player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the only problem I see with the bluff is that it kinda requires that I keep firing.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:33 PM

don't bluff if you don't have the balls to bluff!
Old 11-13-2006, 04:14 PM

I really don't think he's folding a pocket pair or flopped pair &lt;ace here, unless maybe the third spade hits &amp; you fire again. So really the only way I see this causing him to fold a better hand is if he's got a better king. Blind vs. blind &amp; all that.

To me, anyway, the flop c/r looks pretty suspicious. If you had the ace wouldn't you play WA/WB? So one of those typical situations in blind battles, where either you flopped a monster or nothing at all...and the odds favor nothing at all.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:39 PM

I do stuff like this when I'm losing and trying to force a win - on tilt, whatever. BUT, sometimes it works, and it doesn't look like a terrible move.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:00 PM

Maybe your problem is folding too much on the previous hands. Thinking LAGs don't give me that much trouble really. They are just high variance and I accept that when I sit down. Sometimes they go up 30BB really quick, sometimes they reload really quick. He can't have a hand every time if he's raising 24 (which is too much of course, but it could just be variance.) Your stats are about the same as mine. I would just try to get to showdown more against this guy in general with anything showdown worthy (this is probably not one of those hands, but any A, 2 broadway or pp would do), but you probably already know that. I tend to take this macro approach because really it's difficult to put them on any hand so what else can you do? Play better hands (which you already are) and get to showdown more. After a few call downs with A high or a medium pp he'll start to play more predictable post flop and then you can readjust.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM

This isn't a terrible bluff but it works better against a worse player. I pull it against players who consistently raise me on the button when I am in the blinds. He might throw away a low pp in this situation (44 or 66) or some other raiseable hands that missed this board. However, chances are he wll call here and you will have to fire again whereas against a crummy player you might take it down here.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't a terrible bluff but it works better against a worse player. I pull it against players who consistently raise me on the button when I am in the blinds. He might throw away a low pp in this situation (44 or 66) or some other raiseable hands that missed this board. However, chances are he wll call here and you will have to fire again whereas against a crummy player you might take it down here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your response.. but I think that this guy, being alot more aware of my stats and image, will be much more likely to fold a PP than a fish would be.