Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 02:33 PM

Default 2-7 Triple Learning Curve

For all of us rushing to become 2-7 Triple Draw experts, I thought a quick synopsis of what you'll go through as you learn the game is in order:

What are the rules? A new player begins by buying in at a table, then after receiving five cards quickly realizing they have no idea what the rules of the game are.

Why didn't I win #1: Aces are high The first big pot you will lose is due to the fact that aces are in fact high in 2-7 Triple Draw (hence the 2-7 as the best low hand). Normally, your hand will be A2345 when you lose the pot after staying pat twice and capping both times.

Why didn't I win #2: straights are bad Your second big pot that you'll lose will be probably a 23456 or 34567 (hopefully the former). Yes, a straight is bad in this game.

Bluffing is mostly bad Maybe if you're playing $50/100 somewhere this isn't the case, but most of the time someone has a good hand if they've made it to the end. Espcially if they've drawn three cards each time.

There is no reson to raise pre-flop That may be an overstatement, but everyone will call, you will draw two or three cards, and you will often get beaten like a drum. In fact, if someone raises to your left, you should feel obligated to raise when it comes back to you. The bigger the pot, the more mathematically correct it will be to draw four or five cards.

The game is un-multi-table-able Granted, I wasn't raised on playing five video games at once, but I can tell you that an easy way to lose a buy-in at 2-7 Triple Draw no-limit is to also have another limit table open at the same time. You won't be able to see what anyone has done or drawn; in fact, it might be better to simply stand pat and shove all-in every time rather than tediously worrying over whether to discard a 9 or not.

Once you have a good understanding of these and other predicaments you'll find yourself in, feel free to sit down at a 2-7 Triple Draw table.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: 2-7 Triple Learning Curve

Is my sarcasm meter broken today? Is this a joke?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 PM

if you play like this, sit down with me at UB any time you like.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no reson to raise pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

I hope you're trying to throw out dis-information and you dont actually believe this.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:10 PM

Forget about the "there is no reson (sic) to raise pre-flop (i.e. before the 1st draw, there is no flop)". That's very bad advice.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For all of us rushing to become 2-7 Triple Draw experts, I thought a quick synopsis of what you'll go through as you learn the game is in order:

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he saying this is what we will be thinking as we start out? I just don't get this thread at all!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 PM

I've probably seen at least fifteen players do exactly these things starting out. One guy at our table chatted that aces were wild after someone had asked what the rules were, then a guy moves in after the last draw holding two aces.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:49 PM

While I've seen the same thing on the tables, I think the level of discussion on this site is usually above the "here are the rules" types of discussion.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM

Why would anyone raise pre-draw, or any time before you have a made hand? That's like betting before the river in HE.

Anyway, my guess is that OP is a small-stakes player making light of the mistakes that a lot of people make on the SS tables.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:08 PM

Just wondering if anyone whos been playing 2-7 for ahwile and reading this forum for ahwile as well is having as much fun as I am with the new advice being offered here?