Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 02:58 AM

Default SB Q8o hits the flop, how to go on?

This is the hand that crippled me badly last nite.
How is my line here and should I push the river or just check/fold?

Poker Stars 1 million
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t100/t200
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t24040
UTG+1: t9600
MP1: t5780
MP2: t6660
MP3: t12420
CO: t13580
Button: t2600
Hero: t9040
BB: t6280

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4 folds, MP3 calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t300)</font>, CO calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t500)</font>, Button folds, Hero calls t100 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t700)</font>, BB checks.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t800, 4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 bets t200</font>, CO calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1000)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t800</font>, BB calls t800 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t2000)</font>, 2 folds.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t2800, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t1600</font>, BB calls t1600 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t4400)</font>.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t6000, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero ??
Old 11-13-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Re: SB Q8o hits the flop, how to go on?

Easy fold preflop.

since you called lead the flop for ~500 and then lead the turn for ~1500 and ~2500 on river..

Your flop check-raise is too strong and should fold out QJ/QK type hands that you want in.

Turn bet is fine but after your c/r you have already given away the strength of your hand so I would bet 2200. This also prices out the flush draw but I am primarily betting this much in order to get more chips in the pot vs KQ/QJ
[ QUOTE ]

This is the hand that crippled me badly last nite.
How is my line here and should I push the river or just check/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
POSTING NOTE: Do not post that a hand crippled you badly. That will influence the responses that you get. Do not convey results in your post, keep it neutral to get unbiased feedback.

I think both of your options of pushing and check/folding are probably wrong

As played I would check river for two reasons:
1) give villain a chance to bluff a missed flush draw.
2) because AQ is the only hand that you beat that is going to pay off 3 barrels and that is discounted because he probably would have raised with that preflop. There is really nothing that he is limp-calling 3 barrels with that you are ahead of here.

Against a random opponant I will call if he bets the the river (even if he pushes) but would not expect to be ahead more than 40% of the time. If I have reads and read him as being capable of making this bluff with a flush draw I am definitely calling. If I read him as the type of player who would not be chasing deaws and who would not push a draw on the river then I would reasses his potential holdings and I would probably fold to a push on the end.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:00 AM

Default Re: SB Q8o hits the flop, how to go on?

I disagree that this is an easy fold preflop. Sure, you're OOP with a weak hand that doesn't have a great shot at improving against 3 other players. However, 2 of those players cover you, and assuming you aren't going crazy with one pair you don't stand to lose much unless you hit the flop hard. As it is, you are getting up to 90:1 implied odds and 7:1 direct pot odds.

I prefer leading this flop for at least 3/4 pot with the plan of 2/3 pot on turn, 1/2 pot on river if only 1 villain calls (and probably folding to a raise on turn or river without a read).

As played, you can either block the river or check with the intention of calling a reasonable bet.