Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 PM

Default Table Image, Style, Changing Gears at 8/b

I'm trying to strike a balance between solid aggressive play lag play that gets action. If I play rock solid and aggressive I will usually win consistently but not get enough action. So I mix it up and show down stupid hands on occasion and my fluctuations are quite vast - if i can convince the table I'm a maniac when I'm just betting strong hands I get a lot of chips - but the drawback is that I jeopardize my stack and often get outdrawn because any 3 can win when everyone's going to the river.

My image fluctuates between solid aggressive, maniac, and tight. The question I have from the forum: is it enough to play tight agressive and simply semibluff with live cards so it appears like I'm gambling when I'm only taking slightly the worst of it -or are my crazy plays worthwhile like raising with a pair of 6's and no low draw but with three baby's up to get heads up vs the high hand or trying to steal 1/2 pots with jamming on the river?
Old 11-13-2006, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Table Image, Style, Changing Gears at 8/b

I don't think it's worthwhile to get too far out of line very often in stud/8.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I play rock solid and aggressive I will usually win consistently but not get enough action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what the problem is.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Is this a live game or online?

I ask because online players tend to jump from table to table, so you're trying to set up an image & as soon as you have it set up, the players change. It kinda defeats the purpose IMO. Most online players are too busy surfing the internet, watching TV, etc. to pay attention anyway...I'm not advocating not mixing it up a little but don't jeopardize a winning strategy of tight, aggressive play.

In a live game, your system may work better. But I think its counterproductive online. Just my $.02.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:14 PM

thanks guys, usually online but I tend to play a lot with the same players, some of whom are quite perceptive, especially when I play 10/20. I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm being reckless and I suspect yes .. one thing I do that's worthwhile is play super tight to begin a session and showdown a monster or two. then I'll come in raising with more marginal hands like the A(22) or k(32) suited to try to steal a few pots either on 3rd or later if my board looks good.