Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 08:47 AM

Default $11 Bubble Situation: Call with JJ?

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t500 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t2548)
Button (t734)
SB (t2968)
Hero (t1750)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t1850</font>, Hero...

SB has been noticeably tight through out the bubble. Until this hand he has passed up pretty much every clear opportunity to steal. So whats the right move?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 AM

Default Re: $11 Bubble Situation: Call with JJ?

i think your ahead here pre-flop, but the button is about to burst.given your read on villain i would lay this down . i'm not risking a coin toss against AK-KQ etc. ITM i push all-in.-momo
Old 02-01-2006, 09:47 AM

i think its a call
Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 AM

Its a call - he doesn't even have to be stealing here for it to be a +ev range. Most Aces and all pairs are an instaraise with these blinds even for a tight player, and the button potentially doubling up makes you the shortstack. Only if he has &gt;150 chips can you consider fold here, IMO.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:20 AM

I call too. He could well be stealing as he thinks he has a lot of FE with the button so short. If you fold you only have 2.5 BBs. This a good time to get some chips and go for first.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PartyPoker, Big Blind is t500 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t2548)
Button (t734)
SB (t2968)
Hero (t1750)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t1850</font>, Hero...

SB has been noticeably tight through out the bubble. Until this hand he has passed up pretty much every clear opportunity to steal. So whats the right move?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been folding his sb to you a lot? Interesting. You have to call here anyway, the blinds are way to high. If he has one of the 3 hands that beat you...oh well.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Agreed. Despite your reads, the blinds are too high and your hand is too good to not call this. If you run into QQ-AA, or lose a coinflip/take a bad beat, you really weren't giving up that much. If you fold there, you're pretty short on chips, and if button gets lucky and doubles up once, he's ahead of you. Win this and suddenly you're the chip leader and in solid position to have a real shot at winning the whole thing.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:53 AM

pot= $2350 you need to call 1250, so the odds are around 2:1 on your call.

The only way to fold is if you he put AA, KK or QQ face up on the table. Otherwise, cover your eyes and hope for the best.

PS: (notwithstanding what happened) Do you really think that tighty is going to wait until he get QQ+ to push all in? Dont most people (non-2+2ers) limp or minraise with premium hands in the blinds to try and keep you in the hand?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:03 PM

I think my cutoff calling range here is QQ, so I'd fold here. I'm really not sure about this though, I've been questioning my bubble play alot recently.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:13 PM

I hear ya. You have hte SB next, so you will be sitting on 1000 and the BB will have 2500.

I can understand waiting for shorty to go down in this orbit, and I think that is a defensible tack to take. Of course, if shorty makes it through the blinds, you are screwed, and then you will wish you had JJ to push with (most likely).

I would expect to see an under pair if I called, and would be shocked if I saw QQ+. A big ace would be reasonable, but I still think that be too strong a hand to make this play here as SB. I think if SB is sitting on real strength he would play different.

But perhaps I am transferring what I think I might do onto villian...