Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Niche Market Opening Up

Due to recent legislation (not gambling, believe it or not) a new market will be opening up soon. A friend who's been in the affected industry for years told me about the change, its implication and the fact that no one seems to be specifically targeting the need the legislation will create.

Anyway, we're starting a business to fill that need. First, we're going to need a good website. Can anyone recommend a top company that designs websites for businesses and
how much we should expect to pay to get high google rating, etc. As I'm not a super web saavy person, a turnkey website which can be administrated by idiot (me) is essential. I know a lot of people design sites, just wondering who mcdonalds/burger king of website design is.

Also, in order to take this offering nationwide, we plan to use affiliate marketing. Basically, we want to get people all over country, give them a territory in which to sell and give them 10% of first year sales a client makes, and 5 % of lifetimes sales to that client. This person can then have people under him making sales and giving them half of what he gets, etc. This isnt MLM, as we'll be selling actual products from a variety of top companies. My question is this: What is best source for people who would be willing to do the commission only selling from home? Is there a website, etc.? Also, as far a "no call lists" this only affect private residents, not businesses right? We would be having our sales people contact government workers at their job, or through their work email, with offerings pertinent to their needs.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Niche Market Opening Up

Getting a high google rank isn't quick or easy.
Getting traffic from google adwords is an alternative.

If your product/service can be marketed online, using an affiliate network is an option.

Building a website with a user-friendly admin area is easy for a good programmer. Finding a good programmer can be done using elance or one many other freelance sites. You can also do a search for companies that build websites. No matter which way you go, make sure you can see past work and if possible contact previous customers. The cost of the site is really dependent on what it needs to do.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If your product/service can be marketed online, using an affiliate network is an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

In terms of people doing sales, a lot of it will be old fashioned telemarketing, i.e. 'work from home, be your own boss, make a ton of money!" So the idea is, we need the most aggressive capable people to work as independent contractor for commission only, so we avoid huge overhead of payroll taxes, unemployment ins. It's probably a lot to ask, but where is best place to begin search for these types?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
where is best place to begin search for these types?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the type of person needed to accomplish the task. Will your product require someone highly educated? Will your primary customers be bank presidents or ditch diggers? Your sucess will depend more on your sales manager than what you are selling.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In terms of people doing sales, a lot of it will be old fashioned telemarketing, i.e. 'work from home, be your own boss, make a ton of money!" So the idea is, we need the most aggressive capable people to work as independent contractor for commission only, so we avoid huge overhead of payroll taxes, unemployment ins. It's probably a lot to ask, but where is best place to begin search for these types?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, want ads in the newspaper still work.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:26 PM

If your talking about the changes to MLM rules, you know it's not affecting MLM ability to operate it's making it more difficult for them to recruit. I'm not sure your business isn't MLM, you do realize MLM does sell actual products from a variety of top companies, in fact that sounds identical to Amways pitch?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your talking about the changes to MLM rules, you know it's not affecting MLM ability to operate it's making it more difficult for them to recruit. I'm not sure your business isn't MLM, you do realize MLM does sell actual products from a variety of top companies, in fact that sounds identical to Amways pitch?

[/ QUOTE ]

True, maybe best to not use different levels approach. I was just sort to taking poker affilite and sub afiliate model.

I'll probably just seek commission only sales people, most likely on craigslist or some other free site, and just run it on one level, so as to avoid any stigma of mlm. Then the only problem will be getting people.

I'll be distributing (drop shipping) the products to buyers. As the buyers are government employees, standard is to give them 30 net for payment. Hopefully i'll be able to get something like 35-40 net from manufacturers, but another real problem is that sales people would then not see a dime for potentially 30 days. Unless we just start with a smaller sales force and I pay projected commission at 2 weeks. Just thinking out loud a bit here. Would like to hear from someone who has come up with a product, idea, and formed a sales force from ground up to market it nationwide.

While our idea here should be good enough to make this fly decent, I think the future success of related ventures will tie in almost entirely to how well we set up our sales team.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
where is best place to begin search for these types?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the type of person needed to accomplish the task. Will your product require someone highly educated? Will your primary customers be bank presidents or ditch diggers? Your sucess will depend more on your sales manager than what you are selling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what i'm afraid of. The likely sales manager position will be filled by me or my business partner at first. I've had jobs in sales/marketing in past, but am no zig ziglar Our customers will be teachers/coaches. The salesperson will need obv decent phone/sales skills as well as the ability to navigate the net/govt education sites to come up with contact info for the teachers/coaches at which to email them and call them at school. Purchasing these from telemarketing companies at up to 3 bucks a lead seems ridiculous when the info is out there for aggro commission only sales person to get.

A few questions or assumptions i'd like confirmed:

1. It's fine to call people at their place of employment, even govt woker if you have a product to sell someone in their position has purchased in past?

2. Its fine to email someone on their work email addy relted to product they might purchase?

Basically just confirming the telemarketing laws only apply to private residents?