Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 06:58 PM

Default PP6: AKs on missed flop against shortstack

PartyPoker $6 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t60 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2675)
UTG+1 (t2600)
MP1 (t2842)
MP2 (t1190)
CO (t6473)
Button (t673)
Hero (t2820)
BB (t727)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls t60, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, Button calls t60, <font color="red">Hero raises to t270</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, Button calls t240

Flop: (t720) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t400</font>, Button calls t373 (All-in)

is this played fine? is anyone checkfolding flop? i assumed, i have still a little bit folding equity and i can't see myself folding, if i check and villain shoves.

UTG was playing quite a little bit loose, rather passive. (31.5/3.7), Button was really loose (52.4/9.5/1.0).
Old 11-12-2006, 09:03 PM

Default Re: PP6: AKs on missed flop against shortstack

As you played you have no other choice than pushing the flop...But y didnt you put them all in preflop?! You`d still have some fold equity and if they/he calls, you see 5 cards without having to make a push with nadda on the flop. If he is loose you are a huge favourite over his range and often enough they fold (which is quite fine for you). Now he might have hit something on the flop and you are often behind...
Old 11-12-2006, 09:20 PM

i don't see a reason for pushing AKs with more than 45BB left! i think preflop is pretty much standard, raising 4.5BB with 2 limpers in front.
would anyone else push Preflop?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 PM

i would probably play this the same
Old 11-12-2006, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't see a reason for pushing AKs with more than 45BB left! i think preflop is pretty much standard, raising 4.5BB with 2 limpers in front.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given utg stack - no. If it was folded to button then yeah. But that's really standard.

I like OP's line
Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 PM

I think you played this fine.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:22 PM

postflop was automatic
Old 11-12-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should push this preflop if you are even thinking of folding to the short stack here.

You have to have a plan whenever you make a play. So, when you raise to 270 preflop here, it is with the intention of pushing 100% of the flops if you've isolated against shorty.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:42 PM

Lets ignore whether your first move was an error or not, lets just see how to salvage this one.

You did know that AK will only hit about 35% of the time... right? :P

Well all is not totaly lost... you are tangling with the SS and he can't knock you out... and the pot is huge. You got yourself in a fix, but you are 3-1 for improving by river, 6-1 on the turn. So even if he had you beat, you can still improve to win.

Also keep in mind this being heads up, A high is often not that bad of a hand during showdow, and you also have k to back that up under the event he has a weak ace.

After the flop, you are going all the way with this one IMHO.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you are right...but you are not playing for all your BB...you are just playing the shortys. UTg will fold 99% of the time...
The Problem with raising is the main problem of this hand. If you can`t give me an adequate answer what to to postflop after a push (don`t tell me, you couldn`t expect that to happen...Shorty is short and moves in...lol you definitely have to push preflop....or fold. But i think we all agree that folding is weak.
If anybody can`t give me a reasonable answer how to avoid the postflop-problem, there is IMO no other choice than pushing.
Actually it is not my intention to push preflop. Not that i want it, i MUST do it. Because its easy to see that shorty is commited after a call and will push regardless of what he is holding. And if you lay this one on the flop down, then i wanna play with you!