Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 02:29 AM

Default Raising Survey

I've been doctoring around a bit on my raising strategy and wanted to take a general survey as to what others' raising percentages are (and breaking it down positionally is of course better, but an overall percent is fine, too) as well as what others view as optimal.

So, really 2 questions:
1) What is your raising percent (and breaking it down by position is also nice)?
2) What do you think is an optimal raising percentage?

Question 2, I think, has some additional dimensions to it, one being how well you play in short-handed pots (if you play well short-handed and can thin the field somewhat by raising, then raising more frequently is better) as well as how much you're likely to thin the field by raising (if you're thinning the field very little, these raises are just pot-builders, I'd say).

Here's my general answer to question 2, however (pending review from you guys):

EP (SB, BB, UTG): 5% raises
MP (UTG+1, MP1, MP2): 10% raises
LP (MP3, CO, button): 15% raises

That would make for an overall average of 10% raises.

Also, regarding raising quantity, I'm inclined to make EP raises consistenlty 3 BB, MP and LP more depending on number of opponents--I have no objection to always going max there, actually, although my current mood has been to go more in the 3-5 BB range, depending solely on how many players are already in (not on hand).

On question 1, I'm at 5% right now with not much positional variation, but I'm not terribly happy with this (hence the survey).
Old 11-12-2006, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Raising Survey

My PFR is about 17%

Probably about 20% on the button, and 10-12% from EP.

I raise 3BB+1BB per limper.

Question 2 depends on your style, and your ability to pick spots where it is safe to c-bet and take it down.
Once you go above ~13-15% PFR people tend to regard you as being hyper aggressive and start playing back at you postflop with marginal holdings which is very +EV IMO.

Your opponents 3-Bet % and stack sizes are very important here too.
If they will 3-Bet you with AA/KK and have super short stacks you can find yourself priced in with less than stellar holdings with no implied odds.
However if they have really deep stacks and they only 3-bet you with AA then raising preflop with nice hands like JT9x etc means you can comfortably call the c-bet and play perfectly against your opponent.
If they start 3-Betting you lightly and too often, you need to lower your PFR % and start 4-Betting them with AA/KK.

In addition, I think especially at low stakes most players play extremly poorly postflop in a raised pot (especially a reraised pot) and are willing to go broke with bottom 2 every time. This is the primary reason my PFR is high. I'm not sure how this applies to higher stake games as ive never played them.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Raising Survey

1) About 12% - 5% from EP going up to 19% on the button/CO. That's average between mostly full ring and a small amount of 6-max. I'd say that my preflop raise in 6-max is almost regardless of position, but I'm raising every pot I enter pretty much so about 40%.

2) Whatever gets your opponents making the biggest, most frequent mistakes.