Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Letters of Rec?

I'm starting to apply for law school for Fall 2007. I've never really asked for letters of recommendation before, and I do not really know where to start. I'm not really very close to any of my professors, or any professors I've had in the past. It seems like it would be kind of awkward to go up to a professor, ask him for a letter of recommendation, and have him say "what's your name again?"

Am I over thinking this or do I have a legitimate concern?
Old 11-11-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Letters of Rec?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to apply for law school for Fall 2007. I've never really asked for letters of recommendation before, and I do not really know where to start. I'm not really very close to any of my professors, or any professors I've had in the past. It seems like it would be kind of awkward to go up to a professor, ask him for a letter of recommendation, and have him say "what's your name again?"

Am I over thinking this or do I have a legitimate concern?

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't need letters for college?

Try to get to know one if you still have time. It would be nice if you had one from someone you know, but if you really don't know anyone a prof isn't gonna say no, you're just gonna get a really bland letter.

The letters of recommendation probably don't matter unless you're a really borderline student at a school.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:37 PM

I think you're over thinking this. I just asked a couple nearly random professors who I'd had for a couple classes (where I did well). They said sure. Getting letters of rec is easy.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:04 PM

The professors are asked for recs by random students who took their classes all the time. You are definitely overthinking this.

You should ask the highest profile teachers (someone who has been published or is known in the law community is a big plus.) If you have ever taken a class with the dean of your school then you should ask him regardless of how you did in his class (as long as you got a reasonably good grade)

If you do not have any high profile professors then just ask the teachers of the classes that you have done the best in. Law/English/Philosophy professors would probably be better than Math professors as they are probably better writers.

Good luck.

Steve
Old 11-11-2006, 09:09 PM

you have to be careful asking for letters of recs with professors you did not know well... who say's they will give you a good review? just because you ask for a rec does not mean they will grade you excellent...

your letters of rec can come from other places too... Did you work part-time? What about any friends of parents who are graduates of the program you are applying?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to be careful asking for letters of recs with professors you did not know well... who say's they will give you a good review?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you are implying that a professor that you do not know will give you a bad rec or a 'not good' rec but I just want to give you an FYI that I find interesting/rediculous

People have sucessfully filed lawsuits against employers who have given them negative reccomendations.

Even in cases where an employee was neglegent and was fired for incompetence they have been able to successfully win lawsuits against previous employers who have given them bad reccomendations.

I am not sure if anyone has ever sued because of an academic reccomendation but I am confident that professors have been advised by their respective universities that they are never to write a bad reccomendation and if they think negatively of a student that they should just not write a letter of rec.

Your risk of a bad reccomendation are almost nil. The only concern is that they will write you a positive but not great reccomendation.

If this is something that you are concerned about then go to the professors office hours and give them examples of the types of things that you hope that they will be able to include in your letter. Most likely they will follow the outline that you give them or they will simply tell you tha they do not know you well enough to say what you want them to say.

Steve
Old 11-12-2006, 02:50 AM

i am not implying, i am stating. a smart professor, unlike you, will not be willing to give out a letter of rec to students they don't know. why would they want to put their reputation on the line for someone they dont know...

it's much better to get an excellent rec from a good source than average rec from a great source...

no one is talking suing anyone, ya [censored] moron know it alll...