Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 06:26 PM

Default I\'ll Show If You Muck

I don't know if this is the right forum, but overall "psychology" seems more appropriate than a specific game.

What are people's experience with the EV of offering to show? What does it usually mean someone has? Can it be pinned down, or is it situational?

At my home games I try to be friendly and talk a bit of strategy, even showing the occasional hand if someone makes a good laydown. I'm generally one of the better players in the room, so it's +EV to keep everyone happy (and maintain my tight, strong image). I try not to consciously give anything away during a hand, but last night I did the "I'll show if you muck" move. I played it off as if I had a great hand and wanted to save the guy money (he was wanting to fold, but unsure), but the fact was my overpair was sweating bullets about all the damn draws out there. He mucked, I showed, we ran it out (house rule is exposing hunts rabbits). I couldn't tell if he was happy for his fold or not.

Thoughts? Comments?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: I\'ll Show If You Muck

It usually means a good, but not great hand. A great hand wants the call and wouldn't offer incentive to fold. A poor hand doesn't really want to show the bluff.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At my home games I try to be friendly and talk a bit of strategy, even showing the occasional hand if someone makes a good laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]

never do this, never show hands that allow people to save money. I show maybe 1 hand every few hours, and thats only in situations where it wouldn't save my opponents a bet i.e. they didn't have anything. Things like I open raise in late position with a big pair and a blind check folds.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:29 PM

Say you will show and then don't.

That'll get the table riled up.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It usually means a good, but not great hand. A great hand wants the call and wouldn't offer incentive to fold. A poor hand doesn't really want to show the bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. This is my experience as well. Much like the OP's hand where he offered to show, I've found that someone who tells me "I'll show if you fold" has a had that they are NOT folding, but want their opponent to get now because their hand is VERY vulnerable to the board. They are really saying "GOD PLEASE FOLD, because I have a good enough hand that will be forced to pay you off if you get there".
Old 11-11-2006, 03:24 AM

Almost every time I offer to show my hand if they fold I have the losing hand. This is pretty much the exact opposite of everyone else I play live with.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:52 AM

Depends on the person, but often it is a bluff. For example, if a guy makes a big bet on a bluff or a hand he now realizes is beat, he may say "I'll show if you fold," picking up that his opponent wants to see his hand but doesnt want to call the bet. By saying this he is hoping to make his stupid opponent fold a better hand.

Although some people use this for the opposite, they are trying to make it appear as if they want you to fold because they are bluffing when they actually arent.

This is the problem with most "tells"- they can be used either way and you never know which is which.

-J
Old 11-11-2006, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At my home games I try to be friendly and talk a bit of strategy, even showing the occasional hand if someone makes a good laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]

never do this, never show hands that allow people to save money. I show maybe 1 hand every few hours, and thats only in situations where it wouldn't save my opponents a bet i.e. they didn't have anything. Things like I open raise in late position with a big pair and a blind check folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

we had a home game a week or so ago and there was a "must show" rule. you are a nit.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:04 AM

i am not a nit
Old 11-11-2006, 09:52 AM

Information is worth money. Do you pass your opponents stacks for looking friendly? No you do not. Do you pass them sklansky-information-stacks from showing? Sometimes - only if they use it to their advantage (re: they adjust vs you) and you do not or cannot counter-adjust (ie I know that he knows...)

I think if I knew my opponent had a flushdraw, and there was enough money in the pot w/ his equity that he shouldnt fold, then I think convincing him to fold would be a good move. Likewise, if you have pair+fd or pair+oesd and you want him to fold his half of the coin flip (when he should obv call), then that would be good as well. The only problem with these things is that some % of the time he will fold on his own, and you dont have to give up information for it.