Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 10:03 AM

Default $25NL - Slowplay Flop?

I have no history on villain expect the past 50 hands. He is playing a TAG style and appears to be fairly decent. I probably look a little weak/tight during this time.

I open to $.90 on the button with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain calls in the BB.

Flop:
9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain checks. Do I slowplay here?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 11-09-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Re: $25NL - Slowplay Flop?

what limits are you playing at, i presume it is 25nl. Anyway, villains call is representing a medium PP or Ax or KQ. I like the idea of a check here to let him catch up. Betting might just scare him away. Maybe if you check he catches a straight or flush draw and let him take the lead in the betting
Old 11-09-2006, 10:13 AM

Checking behind will look weird. Just put your standard c-bet out there. Hopefully he has something or will try to float etc.

I don't like slowplaying even the flopped nuts. How are you gonna get payed off if you don't build a pot.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking behind will look weird. Just put your standard c-bet out there. Hopefully he has something or will try to float etc.

I don't like slowplaying even the flopped nuts. How are you gonna get payed off if you don't build a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]do you not think betting will scare him off, given his likely holdings?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 AM

Without a read you shouldnt slowplay this.

Either villain has got a hand, or he dont. Just make a c-bet and hope he hit a set. You cannot give the NFD or a set infite odds to outdraw you. There isnt much hands he can catch up with and there are a bunch of cards you dont want on the turn.

Just bet out and hope he hit a set/FD/2-pair
Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]do you not think betting will scare him off, given his likely holdings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero should bet here. To many scare cards can hit the turn. If villain doesn't have a K, I doubt hero is extracting much here. Hard to figure what his flush draw might be other than Axs, in which case hero absolutely needs to bet.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:27 AM

Have you been c- betting into him after you raise? If so, do it here as well. Since you seem to appear weak/ tight to him keep your c-bet amount the same as before. There is a flush draw on the board and you MUST charge him for that. If he calls, see what the turn brings. If its a safe card value bet the crap out of him.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just put your standard c-bet out there. Hopefully he has something or will try to float etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 AM

nh
standard bet here because
a) he could think you're placing a c-bet
b) if he has TP or better he'll probably call
Old 11-09-2006, 10:48 AM

This concept gets mentioned occasionally but hasn't been hammered lately: slowplaying is very, very rarely correct. Various posts in the uNL and SSNL stickies will say the same. Slowplaying certainly is not correct here.

You only want to slowplay when
(1) you have a monster,
(2) draws are evident, and
(3) most important, those draws, if they come in, will be inferior to your current hand.

Here you've flopped a nice straight. But this is a very wet board. If you slowplay this, and villain draws out on you with
* A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] when a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hits,
* or AQ when a J hits,
* or AJ when a Q hits,
* or a flopped set of 9s when he was going for a flop checkraise, and then the board pairs...

then you are going to want to stab yourself in the eye with a fountain pen.

So don't. Bet, and hope villain has a good second-best hand, and that you can get all your money in now, with the best of it.