Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 09:18 AM

Default Playing against short stack limpers.

Ex. playing 50nl 6max. UTG +1 limps $20 behind. Folded to you in the CO. What hands are not not raising that you would if a 100bb stack limped? Are you raising any hands that you wouldn't against a 100bb limper?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Playing against short stack limpers.

[ QUOTE ]
What hands are not not raising that you would if a 100bb stack limped?

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps marginal drawing hands? As I understand you either raise PF to isolate or sweeten the pot. With only one small stacked limper you've already isolated him and you're basically playing for a draw. I think bigger hands where you're aiming for TPTK are better suited for raising here because he basically needs to hit the flop in order to be able to continue...
[ QUOTE ]
Are you raising any hands that you wouldn't against a 100bb limper?

[/ QUOTE ] I can't imagine any. Then again, I'm only more-or-less a beginning player and probably more focused on my own hand
Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I understand you either raise PF to isolate or sweeten the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
You also raise to take control of the hand. It gives you FE on the flop, allowing you to take it down with a cbet when villain doesn't hit.

To OP: A short stack doesn't affect my pfr range. He only affects my 3bet range and my calling range.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:53 AM

Is the FE higher when raising a short stacked limper instead of a 'normal' limper?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:55 AM

I don't change my play against shortstacks in terms of what I raise with unless they were using proper shortstack strategy-- ie, they were likely to push to my reraise based on the strength of their hand. 99% of all shortstacks are not adjusting their play and therefore I don't change in this aspect.

The only change I make is in terms of calling their raises. Since implied odds are gone I am only calling with stronger hands... If the stack is small enough and the shortstack too loose... (20bb or less ... 40/15vpip)... I prefer to push with JJ-AA, AK or AQ. I play any pair to a small stack who raise if I'm certain a bigger stack will come along.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the FE higher when raising a short stacked limper instead of a 'normal' limper?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good question. I guess it depends on the type of player. If he's too loose he'll probably call with marginal hands (suited conns, small PP etc.) without realizing that he doesn't have the implied odds to hit. Then when he hits nothing it's harder for him to justify floating/bluff-raising because he has so little behind. His stack is less of a threat to us.

However, a shortstack will often make a desperation push if he hits top pair/weak kicker or even second pair on a ragged board. He has less to lose than a full stack and can therefore play his marginal made hand more aggressively.