Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Middle pair in the BB

I was wondering how to play this type of hand, it comes up quite often. Example:

First hand at the table, so no reads.
Hero has 97o in the BB. EP limps, button limps, SB completes, hero checks.

Flop comes K75r, SB checks, Hero ?

What's the best plan here? What kind of reads would make you change this generic plan?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Middle pair in the BB

If its a tight table, this is a great pot to take a stab at. If its a table full of loose passives, I'd move onto the next pot.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:08 AM

Against 2 opponents I typically bet. Against 3 it's tougher, a K is more likely to be out there. If all the others are rocks (or TAGs, a TAG would raise pf with most K's) I like a bet, otherwise I check and evaluate.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:23 AM

This flop is actually good for you if you are in a tight game. Many players will raise preflop with a king and high kicker and fold Kx. So in a tightagressive game the only one to fear is actually SB. This always makes this a good bluffing opportunity even if you had nothing, but you got a middle hand though. I'd bet hope to take the pot down you can maybe get middle pocketpairs to fold. But the pot is so small that it is not worth hunting for more than one bet in my opinion. Also because of the early limper suggests a big hand - maybe a pocket if he is tight. You could also risk he is sitting with KQ if he is somewhat passive. Some even likes to callraise monsters in EP.
Remember I assume this is a tight game. If it's loose check-fold would be may strategy. If a blank hits turn turn then bet you may still get better pockets to fold or you may have the best hand.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:35 AM

This flop is ragged and has one high card. I would bet. Unless someone holds a K, or better 7, (etc) we are ahead, which will be often. Because there are so few draws opponents are unlikely to hold a hand worth continuing.

Ok If we bet and are called in a couple of places I usually bet/fold turn, c/c river.

If we are raised I call and c/f turn UI, CR turn I.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:48 AM

2 things to consider:
1 - The table. If its tight i'll take a stab at this pot probably folding to a raise or call/fold the turn UI
2 - The size of the pot. Its a small pot. With a marginal hand again i'd take a stab at it but probably fold to any further agression.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If its a tight table, this is a great pot to take a stab at. If its a table full of loose passives, I'd move onto the next pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since they would make a misstake calling with OC's to our 7 I don't much care if they are LP. We can easily get away if they raise somewhere. However if they are also aggro I check and see.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1 - The table. If its tight i'll take a stab at this pot probably folding to a raise or call/fold the turn UI

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think u can fold getting 7:1 after a raise. U must be able to make 1 bb extra if u hit ur 5 outer?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since they would make a misstake calling with OC's to our 7 I don't much care if they are LP. We can easily get away if they raise somewhere. However if they are also aggro I check and see.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are loose passive, I'm thinking about O/C's that will inevitably fall on the turn and river. I want to take the immediate odds of one stab at the small pot, to win right away.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think u can fold getting 7:1 after a raise. U must be able to make 1 bb extra if u hit ur 5 outer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its table dependent but as i said i'd vary between folding and calling, especially getting 7:1

Just realised we are over 8:1 for a 5 outer. Can we be sure our implied odds make up enough for this fact?
This makes it even more marginal imho.