Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Floor ruling?

Hi guys, I was playing in a B&M tournament yesterday when a situation happened. Player A had 10k chips and bet all in. Dealer counted wrong amount of chips and announced the all in bet at 8k. Player B calls the all in. After the hand is over and player B has lost it is realized dealer screwed up the chip count and attempts to take the extra 2k chips out of player B's pot. Player B refuses to let go of the extra 2k chips he needed to call the all in saying he would have folded if the chip count was correctly identified. What should the floor ruling have been?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Floor ruling?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys, I was playing in a B&M tournament yesterday when a situation happened. Player A had 10k chips and bet all in. Dealer counted wrong amount of chips and announced the all in bet at 8k. Player B calls the all in. After the hand is over and player B has lost it is realized dealer screwed up the chip count and attempts to take the extra 2k chips out of player B's pot. Player B refuses to let go of the extra 2k chips he needed to call the all in saying he would have folded if the chip count was correctly identified. What should the floor ruling have been?

[/ QUOTE ]

How did the dealer count? In other words did he "eyeball" the stacks or did he break them down and count them out?

~ Rick
Old 11-08-2006, 09:41 PM

Player A stacked the chips and dealer eyeballed them.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:18 PM

I'd say he doesn't have to pay the extra 2K. Dealer [censored] up. Player A could have corrected him or gestured that that was incorrect. But thats just what I think should happen, with absolutely no basis on what the actual rules are. So this post is useless, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-09-2006, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he didn't really count the chips so Player B has no one to blame but himself. If he was playing the hand soley for the odds he should have insisted on an exact count.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say he doesn't have to pay the extra 2K. Dealer [censored] up. Player A could have corrected him or gestured that that was incorrect. But thats just what I think should happen, with absolutely no basis on what the actual rules are. So this post is useless, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2006, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I agree with Rottersod below. In some other cases I'd have to think about it more.

~ Rick
Old 11-09-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say he doesn't have to pay the extra 2K. Dealer [censored] up. Player A could have corrected him or gestured that that was incorrect. But thats just what I think should happen, with absolutely no basis on what the actual rules are. So this post is useless, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but whats more useless, a useless post, or a useless post about a useless post. Now we're into meta-game posting.

Out of curiousity, what would you guys think the ruling should be if the dealer had counted the chips, but counted wrong. So it was reasonable for player B to assume the dealer announced an exact count.

Which player should get screwed?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity, what would you guys think the ruling should be if the dealer had counted the chips, but counted wrong. So it was reasonable for player B to assume the dealer announced an exact count.

Which player should get screwed?

[/ QUOTE ] It's not about getting screwed at all. Players need to protect their own interest in a pot. Dealers make mistakes. A player making a large bet should confirm the amount he bets. A player making a large call is only required to call the amount "quoted" to him by the dealer.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:08 PM

Clear angle-shot.

If Player B WINS the all-in, he claims he's entitled to Player A's entire stack ("he said 'all in'!")

And if Player B LOSES the all-in, he tries to short the pot by 2000 chips ("the dealer said it was less! I wouldn't have called the whole thing!")

Kick Player B in the nuts and move on [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

q/q