Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Stack size problem?

Sorry live game...dont no a converter i can use for this.

Me around 7,500
villain covers me

blinds 75, 150
7 man, quite early MTT tourny

Villian is quite fishy but only plaeyd about 30 hands with him. limped then Called a raise from the button and a call in early position (he limped too). Doesn't seem very aggressiev but plays a few pots.

UTG limps
me (J,J) i raise to 600
Fish in Co re-raises to 2000
UTG folds

What do i do?

Its 7 man and even though hes not very aggressive i think he could do with this do with A,K Q,Q-A,A and perhaps A,Q and 10,10 though not certain.

Shoving: doesn't seem like a great idea...I fold all the hands that i beat and only get called by A,K that i beat.

Calling: Seems better than shoving even though im oop. I'll haev invested a 1/3 of my stack but villian will be in a big pot with me with hands that i beat.

Folding: Don't think im folding J,J 7 man to a re-raise but thats just me...if u think i should fold tell me (and why i should!)

Ok so i think calling is best and i will check fold an Ace high flop but what if its a good flop?

good flop: Q,x,x x,x,x etc (x = card lower than a jack)

raising: again not a great plan on a good flop. he will probably fold hands i beat and shove with hands that beat me. If you plan to bet-fold, again that is horrible. U can't invested nearly all ur chips in a tourny and then fold. I'd have 10 BBs which will not dead is a disasterous outcome.

Check RAI: better i think. I get a cbet from A,K and 10s and A,Q. Even though i still losing to a high pair i think that it earns more money when im ahead than when im behind.

Folding: ehh why are u around if u are check folding or raise foldign a good flop and have lost 1/3 of ur stack?

So anyone agree with me that my best course of action here considering the awkward stack sizes is to call and then check fold a bad flop and check raise allin a good flop?

Thanks for any input!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Stack size problem?

Make a smaller initial raise?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:18 PM

If you think villains range is AQ+, and TT+, folding is not very bad, because you're simply not beating his range.

There is a problem with just calling. If you do, and the flop gives you an overpair, are you gonna push? If this is the case, you are not afraid of QQ+, and should have 3-bet pre-flop, being ahead anyway.) You can't call for set-value obviously.

Pushing pre-flop is a risky play, I can't say I love this either, but it can't be terrible. There is a good chance villain will only call this when he has you bet.

This is a tough spot indeed.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OP's initial raise is standard.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:23 PM

My response to calling was to check fold an ace high flop (since i only beat 10,10 there) and check raise allin on a flop that gives me an overpair.

That way i'll still lose to higher pairs but ill gain some chips if he cbets with A,K or A,Q and then has to call/fold depending on the odds.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OP's initial raise is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah 3xBB + 1BB for every limper = 600. I think you need to either push or fold. If you think his rr range is QQ+ AQ+, then this is a fold, but if you think it is wider than that (which I'm pretty sure it is if he's aggressive, and he should be w/ that stack) I would say push. We're only really worried about QQ+, so if he has one of those 3 hands I'm probably going broke here, but if not I want to double up or take the pot right there.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:24 PM

This whole situation is very read dependant.

[ QUOTE ]

Ok so i think calling is best and i will check fold an Ace high flop but what if its a good flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I, personally, don't see an A high flop as that much better or worse than a Q-high flop. An A high flop will allow you to take away a pot from KK, QQ and the other JJ. Q-high flop isn't very scary at all for overpairs, only AK has a problem. If I am going to call and play the hand post flop, I'd be happier to see an A than a K or Q.

At any rate, I raise or fold pre-flop most of the time in this situation. The hand doesn't play well post flop.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My response to calling was to check fold an ace high flop (since i only beat 10,10 there) and check raise allin on a flop that gives me an overpair.

That way i'll still lose to higher pairs but ill gain some chips if he cbets with A,K or A,Q and then has to call/fold depending on the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are leaving $ on the table if you think like this. Since we are going broke against QQ+ anyway I want to double up here against a whiffed AK/AQ on the flop instead of letting them c-bet and fold to our push. I don't know if I'm being clear, but when they do have AK/AQ then we want to get as much value when they miss, and we don't do that if we call w/ the intention of folding on a 'scary' flop. I mean overcards are coming over 1/3 of the time, how can you tell if he hit or not? Just push here.