Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Buddy-listing / searching for buddies useful at micros?

This was triggered by Fadook's remark in the "Wheel under threat of flat tire" thread.

My question: do you use a buddy list or use some sort of mechanism to search out specific opponents? It doen't look like much use to me the micros: in the past few months I've played almost all my play at Party. I also datamined heavily during my play sessions. My database has over 30,000 players in them (a lot of which I've never played against myself) but still, everytime I start it up, more than 70 or 80% of the players are completely new to me and my database.

So I basically just let it run for a while and thnen check the newly built stats, rather than seek out specific people.

I've tried buddylisting quite a few people, but either they had made themselves hidden or they were never on again at the same time as me.

Anybody have any luck and/or methods with looking for specific buddies?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Buddy-listing / searching for buddies useful at micros?

dude... I don't know what level you're speaking of, but at 0.50/1 and 1/2 6-max my buddy list would be gargantuous. I used to try to keep up, but Pokerstar's buddy list isn't exactly user-friendly like Party's buddy list was. It was also retarded to do so as everyone I sit with could be my buddy. I only found it helpful when I moved up to 2/4 and 3/6.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:43 AM

The biggest advantage of buddy listing, is that you can find the fish before everybody else, since you will see them, before their play begin to impact the stats of the table they are at.

Personally I don't rely on buddy listing for my table selecting, I rather see it as a nice "bonus" when I see that an überfish has just sat down at a table with no waiting list.

If there are a lot of bad players, you could limit your buddy list to the players, who are silly bad, or bad regulars (so you have good reads on them).
Old 11-08-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude... I don't know what level you're speaking of, but at 0.50/1 and 1/2 6-max my buddy list would be gargantuous. I used to try to keep up, but Pokerstar's buddy list isn't exactly user-friendly like Party's buddy list was. It was also retarded to do so as everyone I sit with could be my buddy. I only found it helpful when I moved up to 2/4 and 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I am at .5/1 and 1/2 and that was my impression -- the crowd's just too large.

Sigurd, not bad ideas, though most of the regulars I see (loosely defined as >500 hands in my DB) aren't buddy-list material, they're mostly TAG/rocky. Not winners necessarily, because the majority still sport negative winrates, but not exactly ATMs either.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 AM

I play on a Prima skin at the moment and at the times I'm able to play, typically there's only 1 or 2 full ring tables running. If I spot a selection of notorious fish at one table and some rocks at another table when there are 2 up, obviously I'll go for the "easy" option, but it's really not a drama at this level IMO.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:54 PM

The best site for this has to be PokerRoom. You can assign players an icon. I can look at tables and see at a glance what types of player (within fairly narrow bounds: only five or so icons) are there.