Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 01:41 AM

Default my new radar detecting purchase

valentine one baby. been wanting one of these for 10 years...

these are generally known as the best radar detector bang for the buck. cost me a little over $400. i've only heard good things about them.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 AM

Default Re: my new radar detecting purchase

In which states are these legal? If you get pulled-over (because the cop saw you driving like you thought you were radar-proof) and he sees your fancy device, what's gonna happen?
-Sam
Old 11-08-2006, 01:51 AM

legal in all states except virginia and washington d.c.

if you get pulled over and a cop sees a radar detector, logic and personal testimony tells me you are waaaay more likely to get a ticket.

that's why i've got to mount mine up by my head and hard-wire it in. the car i'm putting it in is low.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:59 AM

Is there a big difference in quality between the $39.95 detectors and your $400 detector?
-Sam

edit: Sorry. Of course there must be a difference. I really meant "What is the difference? How significant is it?"
Old 11-08-2006, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a big difference in quality between the $39.95 detectors and your $400 detector?
-Sam

edit: Sorry. Of course there must be a difference. I really meant "What is the difference? How significant is it?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably things like can it detect radar from different directions, bands, distances, and how early it warns you.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:04 AM

Valentine has the cool directional warnings. It's up there with the best, if not stil lthe best detector (old tech).
Old 11-08-2006, 02:06 AM

Lol it looks identical to the one I got 10 years ago. I wonder if it's exactly the same.

ps. my power cord went bad last year, you can replace it with any phone cord.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably things like can it detect radar from different directions, bands, distances, and how early it warns you.

[/ QUOTE ]

False alerts are also much more common in cheap detectors which can get VERY annoying.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:15 AM

I had a radar detector in my car about 3-4 years ago. It helped me one time on the highway. The cop was sitting behind a snow pile and I could barely see him.

Another time, I had it on and got pulled over. I never even saw the cop and I didn't realize how fast I was going. I was home on pass from a military deployment and whipped out the military ID with the driver's license and he gave me a warning. My radar detector was hooked up and I didn't even think about it. I'm sure he saw it too.

The only problem is, at least in Pennsylvania, State Police are the only officers who have radar guns. Municipal Police Officers use a speed timing device that looks like a stop watch, so even if you have a radar detector, they aren't a license to speed.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

radar and laser sensors front and back, gives you a lot more information like number of signals and their strength and direction, a lot earlier than cheapo models. earlier than any other radar detector on the market less than $2000.

[ QUOTE ]

Lol it looks identical to the one I got 10 years ago. I wonder if it's exactly the same.

ps. my power cord went bad last year, you can replace it with any phone cord.

[/ QUOTE ]

they have kept the same magnesium frame for 12 years or so. that's another feature, if they come out with new technology, the put in in the same case, so you can always send yours back, to get it updated. i have version 1.8. you can check your version somehow by giving valentine one your serial number. i also don't think a regular phone cable will work, but i was browsing their parts website and they seem reasonably priced.