Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Introducing myself to the community - 100th post

Hey there!

I've been a long time lurker and a short time poster, but i felt i should introduce myself to the community now i've reached 100 posts.

My name's Stelios, i'm 20 and live in Manchester, UK.
I've been playing poker online for the best part of 4 years now, but really only noticed my game improving within the last 6 months.
In Manchester, we have quite a student population of poker players. A small group of those players whom i met a few years back still gather to talk about our bad beats and huge scores at the weekly university poker society meeting each week, but usually its just an excuse to donk it up and have a laugh.

The Past
About 8 months ago back in February, i hit my first big win. Chopped HU in a $5 rebuy tournament on Stars for $5.5k. My Bankroll at the time was $200.
I finished the tournament at 8:30am local time and didnt bother skipping uni the next day. I had myself a shower and very weary eyed and exhaustedly made my way into my Friday morning Maths lectures where i told my closest uni friends about my fantastic win. The 6/7 of them were quite shocked at congratulated me loads. One of them however was more interested and started asking me how long i had been playing. We started chatting and he told me he was a cash game player. I asked him what limits and was kinda shocked when he replied with 5/10 NL. Jonathan Gaskell or Yeti as he is known on 2+2 just happens to be on the same course as me at university.

At the time, Bankroll management was something i hadn't heard of and within a month that fantastic win had mostly disappeared due to lavish spending and bigger buyin tournaments which i was obviously dead money in. (Hello sunday 215 and 22 rebuy!)

So i continued to play way outside my Bankroll and it should come as no surprise i went BUSTO a few times over the last year. Every once in a while scoring a big win that would only just dissapate over the following weeks.

I got to know my poker society friends a bit better but one of them, TwistedEcho, started getting good very quickly, and in October of last year, final tabled the sunday 500k on Stars. In June this year, i was moving out of home and move into a house share with Twisted and a few other people.

The Present
So now i have a great poker playing living in the same house as me, the plan is to start making a load of cash. My main aim is to multitable to $16 turbos on stars till i can build a BR large enough to move up to the 27s and then the 60s. Whilst doing this, playing the occasional MTT (and MTT challenge) and slowly getting better at both SNG and MTT play.
This isnt without its hiccups and i currently hate variance and wish it would die. I've also stopped taking shots at larger buyin MTTs that use more than 10% of my BR, however, i do have a thing for deepstacks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The Future
Who knows... maybe win a MTT and not go busto again? I do want to become a great MTT player one day, but i think i need to exersise a little bankroll management.

----------------------------------------------------

My Play
I would probably describe myself as TAG. Twisted would probably describe me as a weak tight nit! I don't mind, i like the way i play. I do have a problem with aggresion though. Sometimes i try and be Laggy for the sake of it, and not because i know what i'm doing.
Becuase i am TAG, i do find it affects my mid-late game play, where i'm relying more on the cards holding up to win chips. A leak in my game im hoping to sort out over the coming months.
This explains why i love deepstack tournaments. I can play my A-game and not worry about blinds creeping up on me.

My Goals
1) Build a BR to be able to play a sunday million again
2) Travel to Vegas
3) Finish my degree and be able to pay off my student debts straight away.
4) Win the WSOP ME?

Adios, and hope to meet you guys sometime soon!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Introducing myself to the community - 100th post

welcome
Old 11-07-2006, 08:05 PM

FWIW his main leaks are only playing aces (im working on this one) and running terrible at final tables (lee hates him i guess).
Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 PM

Holla to the manchester crew. I'm back up there with my brother (also ex-manc uni) on dec 8th for the weekend, maybe give u or twisted a shout.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW his main leaks are only playing aces (im working on this one) and running terrible at final tables (lee hates him i guess).

[/ QUOTE ]

twisted did i tell you while i was in vegas that i twisted at manchester for 6 months a couple years back? you guys know how to party

anyway welcome op. win a lot of money, then get the power, then the women
Old 11-07-2006, 09:57 PM

hi
Old 11-07-2006, 10:06 PM

Welcome, enjoy you're stay!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:55 AM

welcome
Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 AM

Welcome! You have a huge advantage over most by living with good players - make sure to use it.