Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM

Default Dumb question. potcomitted?

I played a hand a few days ago against a short stack with 15BB. He raised 3,5BB and I called with KQ and hit a Q on the flop. I put him all-in and he called with TT. Afterwards he said he was potcomitted.
I thougth that was a tournament concept. Is there any such thing as being potcomitted in cash games?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Dumb question. potcomitted?

If you only play for your buy-in then yes. Otherwise, no. There are some people that once they loose their buy-in will stop playing.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you only play for your buy-in then yes. Otherwise, no. There are some people that once they loose their buy-in will stop playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

that makes no sense.
The whole point behind being pot commited is that you have pot odds to call independently of your opponents' hand.

OP: yes, of course you can be pot commited in cash games, in fact some people argue that you shouldn't even use that concept in tournaments.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any such thing as being potcomitted in cash games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta disagree with esad for once, but luckily it's only a disagreement based on terminology, not poker (otherwise I'd probably be wrong).

When a player says "I'm potcommitted" what they mean is that they have so little money left in their current stack relative to the size of the pot that they will have the proper odds to call against any bet. Your opponent was saying that his remaining stack was small enough relative to the pot that his pot odds would always exceed the odds that you would win the hand, so he had a mandatory call.

NOTE: I'm not saying your victim was RIGHT, I'm just saying that's what he meant. In reality, there are times when that position is correct. I'd say this probably wasn't one of them.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:50 PM

yes, but I would suggest that being pot commited in cash games means that the bet is equal to or greater than your stack. Esp after a few bets or playing shorthanded.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:52 PM

you can suggest it all you want but that's not the meaning of the term [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]