Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 AM

Default Preflop strategy for limit HU with SB as button

I'm a 6-max and full-ring LHE player with a problem.

The new site I am playing is different from every site I have played at before. When a ring cash game drops down to two players the software reverses the blinds. Everything I have learned about ring-game blind-versus-blind battles suddenly doesn't exactly apply.

I'm looking for guidelines on correct preflop strategy with reversed blinds. Something solid that I can use to get me through one hand or a few hands as a table breaks or transitions to a new set of players. Thus as important as the concept of continuous adjustment is to this forum it isn't crucial for my purpose. I just want to sit down with a definite idea of how to handle basic player types such as TAG, LAG, and loose-passive so that I'm not inventing poker at the table.

I'll start by suggesting that the advantage of being SB seems so large that it is virtually never correct to open-fold preflop in a 50% structure!?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Preflop strategy for limit HU with SB as button

bet bet bet

notice that there was three of them... you should raise from the SB with most holdings... and then 3 bet OOP with a lot too (any ace... most kings... face cards...)

OBV: play suited connectors less because you have lower pot odds.

but don't take my word for it~
~rob
Old 11-06-2006, 03:22 AM

continuing roommates idea: don't look east in the evenings and use a 3-sided coin to decide your bluff-re-raise-all-in frequency.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:33 AM

he can't raise all in fool... he is talking about limit

~rob
Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 AM

In general, I open the top 80% of my hands out of the SB. The more they 3 bet preflop I tighten up a bit, but not extremely. The more they fold I increase up to 95% ish (still have to fold some just to let them know you're not raising every hand IMO).Out of the BB, I call about 75%, 3 betting depends on the opponent.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:58 AM

SW,

This is oviously a very complicated subject. You're basically asking how to play HU. SB as the BT is how most HU is played. If you spent most of your career on Party, then you might be used to the other way. You might want to start with this: http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/i...0strategy.html

I'd also recommend you play some low limit HU to get a feel for it even if you don't plan to play a lot of HU. UB is a good place for that. Having a basic feel for HU will help your game as a whole as well. It certainly gave me new confidence in playing weak hands postflop.

If your playing a tight player that you consider to be weak, I would open almost anything from the SB if you're not planning on playing many hands with him. Then just bet any flop and almost any turn (you're good enough to know which flop calls mean your toast), and then check through the river most of the time ui. Against looser players, you want to stick to hands that are actually going to have some equity when called. Anything you consider better then 75s/64s should be raised generally.

In the BB, you'll have to use your best judgment about calling raises based on the player. A good starting place would be to ask yourself what you'd defend against this guy if he raised on the BT and then think of what you'd defend when he raised from the SB. The answer to what to do with him HU lies somewhere in the middle. Post flop you can't just fold if you miss the flop. Your cards will often be live and you will get paid off by most players if you pair. Obviously, you need to use good judgment.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:48 PM

If you're limping in with the bottom 20% of hands or whatever, I think you need to do some balancing and limp/3-bet with some of your stronger hands as well. Otherwise I find people just raise with anything everytime you limp-in and your positional advantage is negated by them knowing what sort of hands you have.
I'd be interested in balancing if we say you limp in with 80-95% of hands, and the bb raises the top 60% of hands then what % of your strong hands should you limp 3-bet with. I'm not much of a theorist just a few thoughts.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:01 PM

I know the answer but I'm going to have to start charging .

$1 per word and 10 cents for each number .

Let me know if you're interested :P
Old 11-06-2006, 08:08 PM

Stellar,

these were my thoughts on the differences between the two structures.

also, in my own play I've found that preflop is a ridiculously poor indicator as to who has the best of a headsup match, but turn and river play are much better indicators.

Also, I'd be surprised if you missed this post.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, in my own play I've found that preflop is a ridiculously poor indicator as to who has the best of a headsup match, but turn and river play are much better indicators.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so true