Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 06:56 PM

Default straight flush draws

I am curious how people play straight flush draws in position.

Here are two recent live 2-5 NL hands.

Hand1: 7 people limp in, I ($1100) have J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the cutoff.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Blinds check and UTG bets out $30. He has around $340 behind and is very tight. Im pretty sure he has two pair, or at worst an AK he got funny with. Huge stack (4k) calls, I call, and weak-tight button lady calls. Blinds fold.

Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG bets $100, huge stack folds, I call, button folds.

River 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG quickly checks clearly hating the card. I should...I am pretty sure I have no folding equity on the flop and turn. I called on the flop inciting others to come along.

Hand 2: Short stack ($250) riases to $25 early. Next player calls. He is on a rush and covers the table. He is playing at least half his hands. Recently he called a riase from a very tight raiser with A8o, flopped an Ace and check-called a pot-sized bet. The turn was an 8 and he pushed all in for a huge overbet (opponent folded QQ).

I ($1k) am two seats down and call with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Others fold.

Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. EP bets $100, rusher calls instantly and I...
Old 01-31-2006, 07:16 PM

Default Re: straight flush draws

1st hand I like how you played and I would bet about $200 on the river.

2nd hand, Im definatley raising the flop. I think may even push all in.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:42 PM

hand 1 I'd go ahead and raise it to $260 on the flop and force the tight player to a decision for all his chips

you aren't drawing to nut spades and Jx 9x could be out there
Old 02-02-2006, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the comments.

1st hand I didn't think the tight player would fold if I raised big. I was not worried about someone coming in with bigger spades, but that is a concern. I bet $100 on the river, meh. The guy called after laboring for a minute with set of Tens. I don't think he'd stack off for $200.

Hand 2 I raised to $500. Short stack of course called and the rusher made a big show of folding what he said was J9. EP had Ad Kd and I lost.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comments.

1st hand I didn't think the tight player would fold if I raised big. I was not worried about someone coming in with bigger spades, but that is a concern. I bet $100 on the river, meh. The guy called after laboring for a minute with set of Tens. I don't think he'd stack off for $200.

Hand 2 I raised to $500. Short stack of course called and the rusher made a big show of folding what he said was J9. EP had Ad Kd and I lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you concerned with tight player not folding in hand 1?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:26 PM

Hand 1: I also like the way you played this but see no problem raising the flop to get it all in, especially if you think a big ace covers a large part of his hand range.

Hand 2: Raise enough (350 straight?) to put the small stack all in and make it enticing/fishy for the other opponent to come along. You should have no qualms with sticking large amounts of money in on the flop here, and should be looking to do so.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:18 PM

Hand 1: Raise the flop and call a push.

Hand 2: Just push it in. You're probably ahead and you want to get rid of any higher flush draws.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:41 PM

I guess I just didn't feel like flipping a coin when I figured I had no fold equity. Sometimes I do raise.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:16 PM

Hand 1:
raise that flop pot raise. You have a huge draw, you're only in bad shape against AsXs, and even then you win 30%. Against TT, youre 42%.

Also, I'm much more inclined to push non nut flush draws in general hard. With nut flush draw and situation developing mulitway, i call and hope smaller flushes do the same. Now, this situation is complicated in that its much harder to get the nut flush draw out with A on board.

but yeah, raise flop, play big pot.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:26 PM

hand 2: i push the flop.

If i were better, i would probably call and hope he bet any turn, then push that. If villain bets 200 into pot on turn, allin raise is natural with stack size, you have nice f/e and will still hit 1 in 3 times. The only problem is, I might outthink myself. To stop that, i get it in on flop and then dont have to think, more relaxing for my mind as well.