Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 12:24 AM

Default Bankroll Pyschology

need some advice on how to think about my bankroll, I am atm on a break from poker after playing bad/running bad etc. and am ready to to get back to playing, after i decided to take a break i withdrew all my online funds.

I am looking to re deopsit online however i am not too sure on how much to redeposit, i have about $4K cash, i also earn approx $700 a week from my job. However i have an investment preoperty that has about $50K equity in it, which hopefully i will be able to access in the next few weeks.

Also i have about $30K euity in another property that is unaccessable.

So basically how do you guys see your bankroll? i no people who tae there total worth and believe that is there bankroll, whilst others only see what they can physically put in play as there bankroll.

Also am thinking of taking some shots at higher limits (usually play 3/6 5/10 looking to take a shot at 10/20 15/30)

So how should i look at my bankroll?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Bankroll Pyschology

What you should do is see a shrink before you lose all your assets.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:42 AM

You should probably just remember you don't want to be poor and you don't want to go bust, so you should probably start small. Probably a really bad idea for your bankroll to be anything other than what you can physically put your hands on.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:01 AM

You say you are playing/running bad, yet you want to go up in limits? That's a good way to lose your entire bankroll.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:26 AM

One typcal definitiont of bankroll, the one often used in Risk of Ruin calculations, is the present value of all maney you will be able to bet over your lifetime. That's really hard to figure out.

I would think of it as the most you are willing to lose now. That is, If you are willing to lose your $4k and half of your near-term investements, you can consider your bankroll to be $30k for your RoR and level calculations. If you are willing to lose only a small portion of that investement, say 10%, considering your roll to be $10k would be OK. If you don't want to touch the investment money (want to reinvest it, spend it, etc.) than your roll is only $4k. If the $30k is not accesible in the near term I don't think its reasonable to include that in any BR calculations.

IFF you are a good winning player there are tons of threads around here that will inform what levels can be played at what risk with $x bankroll.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:32 AM

I am definately a winning player, am up over $30K in the levels i am currently playing, so i am not too worried about losing it all, also i took a break because i was playing bad, and dont really intend to continue that way.

Usually i have always had money on the net, and that is what i always thought of that as my bankroll, and not any money that was invested, i was speaking to some other players who would consider there bankroll to be total wealth (investment properties and a like) so i was hoping too get a grasp of how the majority of players see there rolls.

Also what is with the negativity in this forum? seems quite strange
Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am definately a winning player, am up over $30K in the levels i am currently playing, so i am not too worried about losing it all,

[/ QUOTE ]

*snip*

What??????

Even winning players lose sometimes. You realize this, yes. Practicing good bankroll management will keep those unlucky times from making you go busto. Look up risk of ruin or RoR on these boards. If you play levels too high even expert winning players can run a serious risk of losing it all.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am definately a winning player, am up over $30K in the levels i am currently playing, so i am not too worried about losing it all,

[/ QUOTE ]

*snip*

What??????

Even winning players lose sometimes. You realize this, yes. Practicing good bankroll management will keep those unlucky times from making you go busto. Look up risk of ruin or RoR on these boards. If you play levels too high even expert winning players can run a serious risk of losing it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not what i am saying, what i meant was i am not stupid enough to lose 1000-1250 big bets, before i realise i am not a winning player at the levels.

Thanks for your comments
Old 11-07-2006, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thats not what i am saying, what i meant was i am not stupid enough to lose 1000-1250 big bets, before i realise i am not a winning player at the levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so use a thousand-BB rule. Figure out how much it would suck to lose $6k, $10k, $20k, and $30k and decide which game you want to play based on that. Re-evaluate after 300 BB profit/loss or 50k hands, whichever comes first.

This sounds simple, but I'm not being facetious here; I use a thousand-BB rule myself, in LHE.

Note that you don't need to have all this accessible online (and it's probably a good idea not to). Or even very liquid. Whatever you're playing, you can play on your cash $4k first.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:51 AM

Here's a good way to look at your bankroll.

I made so far this year about 100k so far (deployed..not playing poker)

After taxes and deductions.. retirement,health,Life Insurance,Union..blah blah of that 100k I took home 56k.

After Paying off my college loans, credit cards, motorcycle, and car, and 3000 dollars worth of DVD's, 4200 in apartment rent (I'm not able to stay in).
I'm down to 20k

Now After buying a new TV, Furniture for my apartment, Cable and Internet, And a 6k used car for my girlfriend who's moving out with me.
I'd say I'll have about 10k left I feel with my rent, loans, bills I should keep an average of 7k on hand in case of emergency so.

I have a poker bankroll of about 3 grand which for me is gonna stick me in the 3/6 Limit or 200 cap NL games.

I made 100k this year and I'm still going to be stuck in 3/6 limit.

Are you sure your bankroll is as padded as you think ?? There are tons of people at 2+2 who cry about being rich then broke because they thought they had big bankrolls but they had squat.

Sit down work it out and see what you are really going to have left after an emergency and all your bills are paid.

Later