Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Beatability of games (based on stats)?

What kind of vpips of your opponents would be required to constitute a "juicy" 6-max game? is 40+ on average sufficient to be a 2BB+/100 winner?

I know preflop stats aren't everything, but to avoid going into too much detail, let's suppose people who are loose preflop play just as badly postflop. How adversely affected is your winrate as average VPIP increases or decreases? Are there any common lower boundaries below which you should not even try to play?

I'm running pretty rough at 3/6 where vpips range from 29-45 (at one point in the day when I play 1 or 2 hours) and 35-55 (later in the day). I think it's impossible that this game is not heavily beatable, at least in the later games.

For you winners (and losers), what kind of avg. vpips are at your tables? At least with some data like that, I can decide whether I'm leaking badly somewhere or if the game just isn't a good idea (i.e. my winrate is so low that variance is unacceptable).

Thanks
Old 11-05-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Beatability of games (based on stats)?

You should be fine, but it really is dependent on postflop play beyond how you simplified it. If a guy is a good 40/20 LAG and you can't adjust, he'll eat you alive given the right cards. Ditto for a 35/10 sponge sitting right behind you.

Personally, I prefer more passive games, because I'm moving up and want to knock variance down as much as possible. The "best" game for you might be completely different than the best game for someone else; its all about adjusting.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:40 PM

I think the average for my games are 40/9 and not sure about PF agg. I've moved from 0.15/0/30 to 3/6 over the past year and the tables just get marginally tighter and marginally more aggro as you move up.

I prefer passive tables, although I don't mind a LAG if I have position. I look for 50%+ seeing flop and an average pot size of at least 5BB on 6 max. Given the two variables, I prefer high view flop % as this suggest weaker and more passive players. A low flop% but high pot often means theres a few TAGS and a LAG. Unless I have good position on the LAG, I wouldn't bother.

So, excluding my stats, I suppose I'd want a table average of >40vip and <10 PFraise.

Since I live in Asia, I often have trouble finding enough games at my limit (unless I get up early/stay up late). I will move way down in limits to find a good table. I'd rather grind away at a micro limit table I can beat than get raped by multi-tabling TAGs at my usual limit in the absence of fish.

But again, position is so important.

PT is on my home computer, so I'll post the different stats from different limits and sites later. I actaully keep a record of this to monitor my table selection and quality of available games.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:56 PM

How beatable do you think those WPEX games are? Average flop saw percentage is 34% or so at 6-max tables in there. Preflop aggression is high (>15%, i think). There are very few fish around, even at 1/2. Can I actually expect to win anything with rake unless i'm a superb player? Without rake I'm sure I can win something though. Or maybe I should only play when there is some fish around...
Old 11-08-2006, 04:05 PM

I think Tables averages are a little bit overrated. I would be quite comfotable sitting at a table with a VP$IP of 30% if I had two loose players to the right and three tighties at the left.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:14 PM

graarrg, the games you're describing are pretty good. I think you should work on your post-flop game, that's the key to increasing your winrate.