Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 03:30 PM

Default ptf help

ive read the two or three posts on this and it just seems like people are going back and forth arguing points. some people say snyder is great and others say it does more damadge than good to read it. can i get some opinions on it. just in general of whether or not to buy it. and things to think about or avoid while reading it. thank you
Old 11-05-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: ptf help

I'm not even sure it's been argued that it 'does more damage than good'. Just that it has some faulty reasoning in places.

Even Mason rated in an 8 which is his cut-off for books he recommends.

I think when you read it you need to do so critically. But I believe that Mason and others agree that the strategies and advice involved will help most players.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:04 PM

My copy is being shipped tomorrow. I think the arguments are not over things that will ruin your game. It's like one person says run daily for strength and the other says run daily for stamina. At the end of the day, as long as your running, you're doing well, even if it's not for the right reasons.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:36 AM

i don't think you want to implement all the strategies in this book (and of course, the strategies depend on how fast the tournament is and how deep your stack is)...

i think it's like many advanced books where you'll pick up things to help your game.... i think the more aggressive you play, the better you'll do at fast tournaments, to a reasonable point (book probably goes beyond it sometimes though)

happy i bought this book
Old 11-11-2006, 05:45 PM

Buy it. Read critically. Realize that the book was aimed at a very specific type of tournament (low-limit with fast structure) but that a large portion of the advice is applicable in other situations. Experiment with what it has to say and integrate into your game what works. Pay close attention to the chapter called "Breaking the Mold." Even Snyder doesn't expect you to blindly do everything exactly as he says (although he'd expect doing so in the target tournaments would be a winning strategy). Most of the controversy has been about the "why" rather than the "what" and articles Snyder has written on his website. I see this as an excellent template for a loose aggressive playing style. HOH is the same for a tight aggressive style in the early stages (I know Mason, it isn't all tight play). You need to be able to switch between styles. The PTF will help you figure out how.