Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 01:01 AM

Default question for MSNL players (from a SSNL player)

Currently I only play 200NL, & I play a solid ABC style of poker. I'm wondering what kind of adjustments I would have to make before I start playing MSNL.

How important are the following in MSNL:

1) Pot control
2) Thin value bets
3) Having a wide range

Is there anything else I need to add to the list?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:02 AM

Default Re: question for MSNL players (from a SSNL player)

Dealing with preflop aggression
Old 11-05-2006, 01:10 AM

learn to 3bet more
Old 11-05-2006, 01:10 AM

The best advice I can give you is not to overadjust. The 400NL donkeys are pretty much the same as the donks you beat up at 200NL, probably just more aggresive, but still very beatable.

When I first moved to 400NL I felt like my 200 game was no longer good enough to win. To compensate, I started 3 betting too light, making silly bluffs, and basically doing things I would never do at 200NL. Needless to say I got owned. Just play your ABC game and you'll do fine. Don't panic if you hit a wave of bad variance off the start.

The best advice I can give you for moving up is to cut the # of tables you play in half. The swings will seem very high when you first move up, and the adrenaline that results from these swings will affect your decision making process negatively. When the hands are coming at you only half as fast you can neutralize this to a large extent.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:57 AM

just gradually adjust ure game to the new environement. make more 3 bets and steal in more aweosme spots. nothing super magic about it, ull learn where a lot these spots are the longer u play MSNL
Old 11-05-2006, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Pot control

[/ QUOTE ]

important

[ QUOTE ]
2) Thin value bets

[/ QUOTE ]

less so

[ QUOTE ]
3) Having a wide range

[/ QUOTE ]

even less

game selection is important.
reads on regulars for when you can't avoid them is important.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:46 AM

i think valuebetting is the most important skill to have at 400nl apart from normal stuff like not being a gay nit and knowing when/who to 3bet
Old 11-05-2006, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think valuebetting is the most important skill to have at 400nl apart from normal stuff like not being a gay nit and knowing when/who to 3bet

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i was focusing on the thin aspect when i said "less important". valuebetting is indeed important. also, most nits can win a decent amount at mid-stakes, not sure about the gay ones though.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:42 AM

Finding good tables is so much more important than anything else it's not even funny.

Don't overcompensate against overaggro dudes. You're going to feel like a retard when you end up all-in preflop with TT vs JJ, and more importantly, you'll be down a buy-in. These guys expect to get played back at and adjust for it. If you just stay in line you can get your money in with way the best of it in the big pots.

Play your big hands fast. People will assume that you're threebetting light and making moves postflop and they will give loose action and play back at you.

As a corollary to the previous point, people make those assumptions because they are often good assumptions. Don't let go of good hands (TPGK+) in big pots unless the board is very bad (or very dry). People aren't patient enough to wait for BIG draws to play very aggressively, they will often do it with any draw. Checkraising all-in on the turn with a naked draw is not completely unusual (but you need to have reads because some people wouldn't ever do that).

People will bet when you show weakness, regardless of what they have. It's amazing but people will actually bet the river with third pair if you check behind on the turn. wtf they hope to accomplish with such a bet boggles the mind, but they do it. These people frequently meet my custom designation of "loose/stupid". When you show weakness and your hand has decent showdown value, try to get to showdown. People just love to bet (don't get carried away ofc, this is a pot control concept, not a recipe for stacking off with second pair). Also, make notes of which people aren't dumb enough to make bets that make no sense.

And remember, play with the fish. You're not going to have an edge against the TAGs. Each of them at your table is taxing your winrate. The rake is taxing your winrate. Make sure your income exceeds your tax.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Finding good tables is so much more important than anything else it's not even funny.

Don't overcompensate against overaggro dudes. You're going to feel like a retard when you end up all-in preflop with TT vs JJ, and more importantly, you'll be down a buy-in. These guys expect to get played back at and adjust for it. If you just stay in line you can get your money in with way the best of it in the big pots.

Play your big hands fast. People will assume that you're threebetting light and making moves postflop and they will give loose action and play back at you.

As a corollary to the previous point, people make those assumptions because they are often good assumptions. Don't let go of good hands (TPGK+) in big pots unless the board is very bad (or very dry). People aren't patient enough to wait for BIG draws to play very aggressively, they will often do it with any draw. Checkraising all-in on the turn with a naked draw is not completely unusual (but you need to have reads because some people wouldn't ever do that).

People will bet when you show weakness, regardless of what they have. It's amazing but people will actually bet the river with third pair if you check behind on the turn. wtf they hope to accomplish with such a bet boggles the mind, but they do it. These people frequently meet my custom designation of "loose/stupid". When you show weakness and your hand has decent showdown value, try to get to showdown. People just love to bet (don't get carried away ofc, this is a pot control concept, not a recipe for stacking off with second pair). Also, make notes of which people aren't dumb enough to make bets that make no sense.

And remember, play with the fish. You're not going to have an edge against the TAGs. Each of them at your table is taxing your winrate. The rake is taxing your winrate. Make sure your income exceeds your tax.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post.