Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Play a hand with BD, version 1

alright, well to improve my game and to hopefully improve the game of others, im going to post hands in street-by-street format, both in this forum and the MTT. hopefully this will get some good discussion going. i'll skip preflop because its rather standard.

this is a hand from a live $200 1-table tourney. none of the players i've played before, atleast from my recall. only thing i know is that both villains folded the first 2 hands, and this is the 3rd hand of the tournament. each player starts out with t2000 chips, blinds at 10/20. (100x bb, so rather deep stacked)

Preflop:

UTG folds, UTG + 1 limps, 3 folds, Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) raises to t60, 3 folds, BB calls t40, UTG + 1 calls t40.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero?

Standard C-bet here, or do we check it down not wanting to commit alot of chips early on?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Play a hand with BD, version 1

limp preflop

check flop.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:44 PM

check the flop. c-bet in to 2 opponents who called an EP raise w/usual suspects (K,Q) and a FD on board is no good.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 PM

limp pre, if you're gonna raise make it 80, and check the flop.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limp pre, if you're gonna raise make it 80, and check the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2006, 11:11 PM

Limit PF, check Flop
Old 11-05-2006, 12:07 AM

lets not get stuck on a t60 raise. anyways ...

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero checks, UTG +1 checks.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets t125, Hero?

I choose to check the flop for a few reasons. First, there were t190 chips in the pot, although somewhat significant, was < 10% of my stack. I didn't feel it was +EV to risk another t125 this early on a bluff to pick up that much. Also, many opponents who just flat call a raise preflop will a hit this board or atleast grab enough of a piece to make the call. If its checked through and a blank falls on the turn I can make a semi-bluff If i choose to.

Now we've got to the turn, and the BB has lead out for t125. This could be numerous things. It could be a slowplay on the flop, it could be Ax, although I think the only A he has that has me beat here is AQ. AK would also most always lead the flop. He could have JT and have made the straight. He could be simply making a play at the pot. At this point I see it as most likley Ax. What is everyones thoughts? Call and see a turn card? Fold giving him credit for a better hand? Or raise?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lets not get stuck on a t60 raise. anyways ...

[/ QUOTE ]
This shows a bad understanding of poker strategy. Your preflop actions determine how your hand will play out. You make more of them than any other type of action. Limping pre is really much better than raising.

Justification for checking flop: 2 opponents, KQ board. That it and of itself is reason enough not to cont-bet.

I like calling the turn and reevaluating on river.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:16 AM

i call, prolly some Ax hand, you could be against AQ here but i think you can be ahead a decent amount of the time here - i am going for pot control and try to get to a showdown cheaply.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:33 AM

What's the payout?

Raise preflop to 90.

I'm a little confused about the action (your second post). You should have position on UTG+1.

I'll be c-betting.

If I check and the Ace hits and he bets, I'm not folding. He's not likely to have AK or AQ, though AQ is possible. He is likely to have a worse Ace a draw a slowplayed KQ (draws be damned, people slowplay a drawy board all the damn time) or (shutter) JT.

I don't like giving him a cheap river for a lot of his hands, but there are a lot of ways he can beat us too (edit: I mean, already have us beat), so I call the turn.