Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 03:58 PM

Default tptk folds on nonscry brd

villain just sat in, but I had these notes on him:

can fold on scry rivers
tigthish overall
can get to sd

WPEX
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Guruman is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4.33SB, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5.17BB, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, Guruman folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: 7.17BB
Old 11-04-2006, 05:31 PM

Default Re: tptk folds on nonscry brd

I have trouble making these kinds of folds at WPEX.

That being said, if you had a strong enough read, nice fold.

The only thing I can see a tightish player raising the turn on that you beat is an OESD+FD+OC or something.

It's aiight.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:51 PM

Those are quite some reads for someone who "just sat in". If someone really just sat down and I've only seen them play a few hands, then there's no way I fold this. He might have you on OCs and be raising a weaker T or something. On the other hand, if you are very confident of these reads (which is hard to believe given the implied small statistical samply), then good fold.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those are quite some reads for someone who "just sat in". If someone really just sat down and I've only seen them play a few hands, then there's no way I fold this. He might have you on OCs and be raising a weaker T or something. On the other hand, if you are very confident of these reads (which is hard to believe given the implied small statistical samply), then good fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Guru plays at WPEX and there is no HUD support. So what he means is that he only has notes from past sessions to go on here.

As for the hand, I think it really depends on how confident you are in your reads. I don't play at WPEX so I have no idea if players at this level are capable of playing a big draw like this, or WHAT.. In this particular hand though it really looks like you're up against A9, 44, T9 or something along those lines. Calling down can't be too big of a mistake, but the fold is probably correct here.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:12 PM

Bad fold versus most.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:34 PM

dangit i keep tryin to respond to this hand cuz i think its the kind of spots people should discuss but dont since they are so player dependent/ metagame table image influenced. my responses are way too long and tangential as to what factors push my decision how.

Against a standard ABC small stakes player this was a good fold given ur flop action despite the semibluffing possibilities on a good turn for it, he will likely have that small range you dont wanna see ( 10 9 any 9 or 44 and much less likely an overpair he didnt 3bet pre) I ll leave it at if you could call down here profitablly vs this opponent (ie hes pushing K10 or so STILL or semibluffing still thinking he can blow you off ur hand/ ur not wanting to showdown despite bet 3betting the flop) youll prolly get that read soon.

jstill
Old 11-04-2006, 11:58 PM

well these were my thoughts as the hand went down:

preflop:
automatic value-steal raise.

flop:bb checkraised, but despite my "tightish" read I think I can put him on any pair and maaaaaaaaaybe Ax:hearts: some small chunk of the time. I figure to be good against his range, so I threebet for value.

FWIW, I think when I threebet like this I tend to get a lot of very questionable calldowns - even from guys that I characterize as tightish, because everyone's FOS when they do that. I had a note that he could get to showdown, and I usually only make that note when a guy calls down bottom pair against three streets worth of betting.

turn:standard cont/valuebet, then he checkraises.

I pause for a sec and consider - If I put him on any pair preflop then his standard MO should be to just check/call down and then show me the money. I don't think he'd play a ten any other way. He still has a nine in his range though, and he knows that I'll keep betting that turn the vast majority of the time, so the checkraise makes the most sense with his big big hands.

The question is will he bluff this way? In the end, I didnt think he would, so I pitched.

so my thoughts went:
he's probly got a pair.
Its definitely not a ten.
It looks a hell of a lot like a nine.
would a bluff from him look like this?
Ummm, nope.
I'm out.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Guru plays at WPEX and there is no HUD support. So what he means is that he only has notes from past sessions to go on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the notes were from a previous session, that wasn't clear to me.

I wasn't trying to say anything.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:09 AM

Tough call - it's such an enormous show of strength by him and for that reason this is one of the few spots where I will bluff C/R. The question is am I the only one who is this naive.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:26 AM

I hope you made a note to make sure you check next time in the exact same scenario against this opponent, you may have found a weakness in his game if he did indeed steal the hand way. HU I'm willing to give up a little expectation in order to gain a greater advantage against the opponent.

But otherwise I play it the same, without more info on the player its a fold.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]