Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Line check, $1/2 NL

$1/2 on stars. I have JJ UTG and raise to $8. Folds to the SB who has a CashmanBrian avatar (if that means anything).

he calls.
Stacks, $215 each.
Flop: 457 rainbow

he checks, I fire $14, he raises to $48, I call...

turn: Aclubs (completes rainbow)

He checks, I check

River: 7d

He bets 30, I call...thoughts?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Line check, $1/2 NL

looks good. im always so confused at the checkraise/donkcheck line. many times, when the stack sizes dont suck, i'll fire a 3/4 pot bet at the turn when IP and will shut down if called/raised. but as played with the pot on the flop im looking for a cheap showdown.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:24 AM

what it do baby

i interpret the check on the turn after the checkraise as generally weak.

based on his avatar, let's assume he is at least a decent (competent) player. he probably knows that you will fold your air to his checkraise. so when you call, he should know you have something decent/good.

he knows you have something. when you check behind the turn, he should now know you aren't strong, the A isn't likely to have hit you since you called his cr on the flop.

summary: let's assume he knew you had something but after your turn check knows you aren't strong.

now to the river, given your weakness and the fact that he probably knows you're competent and a regular, he should expect you to fold these weakish hands. given your line (which i think is fine), the villain has a great amount of FE imo. this allows him to bluff here a great amount of the time.

frankly i interpret his bet of 30 as a post-oak bluff pretty often here. after making such a big cr on the flop and getting a call, i would expect him to have bet the turn with good hands and make a bigger vb on the river.

he is *hoping* based on his read on you that you will consider this a vb of trip 7's and fold other hands.

he may or may not have been bluffing here, but the chance that he is decent/competent (but not at a high level) and is making a fake vb is good enough to call with the pot odds here. he can also be blocking with some random pair + oesd that missed or blocking hands like 66, 88-TT, etc. yea, u wont always win this one but i think you'll win it often enough to make this a good line.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback. He had 44 for a boat, semi interesting hand. His turn play was weird to me.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:52 AM

ah well he got minimal value, that is indeed weird.

he played the hand kinda like a donk would, make a note of that instead of assuming he is good because of the avatar. his thought process was probably that maybe you hit the A and would bet the turn.

so... he is first level and not second level thinker
Old 11-05-2006, 04:57 AM

Meh, it's not that bad, he wouldnt've got that much more action anyway. Plus he stacks you if you have a 7. Definitely take note, but don't just assume he's a donk because he tried to represent air here and gave you a free card on a rainbow board.