Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 12:06 AM

Default Bright Eyes

Back when I was in high school I had these crazy emotions and I thought my life sucked. I listened to emo and other kids whined about their life sucked and it didn't make me feel better, but umm I dunno I liked it.

Now my life is awesome and I'm a huge balla but when I listen to bright eyes I start to feel kind of depressed. Why would anyone listen to this music? Do they get joy out of self loathing?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Bright Eyes

I dunno - I like listening to them but don't really feel like self-loathing

maybe it's more of a schadenfreude thing with me....
Old 11-04-2006, 12:08 AM

Threads don't do well when you answer the question in the first 2 lines.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:40 AM

Old 11-04-2006, 02:02 AM

nh, LOTD. exactly what I was thinking of.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:20 AM

I like them a lot. The lyrics are really good. I would listen to them more if Conner didn't sound so whiny while singing though.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:53 AM

A girl that I used to know listened to a lot of sad music. When I asked her how she could enjoy listening to depressing music, she said that she just appreciated the fact that the musicians were talented enough to be able to evoke such strong emotions from her.

I don't know, still doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Back when I was in high school I had these crazy emotions and I thought my life sucked. I listened to emo and other kids whined about their life sucked and it didn't make me feel better, but umm I dunno I liked it.

Now my life is awesome and I'm a huge balla but when I listen to bright eyes I start to feel kind of depressed. Why would anyone listen to this music? Do they get joy out of self loathing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because people feel multiple emotions in their lives?

I'm not sure I get the question, but depressing music doesn't necessarily translate to self-loathing. There's something to be said for listening to music and appreciating where the songwriter is coming from without necessarily feeling as they do. I mean, in the same way that I like listening to Nas while coming from nowhere near the ghetto, I can enjoy listening to Alice In Chains without being depressed. There's alot of beauty in sad songs.

Not to mention the times that we just wake up in an emo mood for whatever reason and want to feed that emotion. I don't want to say "joy out of self-loathing" like you did, but I think we do feel the need to fuel whatever type of mood we're in when we're in it. Like if you're pissed off or depressed then you don't seek out happy music and force yourself to be happy, you put on metal or Johnny Cash or something. So there is some satisfaction in fueling these "negative" emotions I think. Not sure why that is, but it's normal.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Because people feel multiple emotions in their lives?

I'm not sure I get the question, but depressing music doesn't necessarily translate to self-loathing. There's something to be said for listening to music and appreciating where the songwriter is coming from without necessarily feeling as they do. I mean, in the same way that I like listening to Nas while coming from nowhere near the ghetto, I can enjoy listening to Alice In Chains without being depressed. There's alot of beauty in sad songs.

Not to mention the times that we just wake up in an emo mood for whatever reason and want to feed that emotion. I don't want to say "joy out of self-loathing" like you did, but I think we do feel the need to fuel whatever type of mood we're in when we're in it. Like if you're pissed off or depressed then you don't seek out happy music and force yourself to be happy, you put on metal or Johnny Cash or something. So there is some satisfaction in fueling these "negative" emotions I think. Not sure why that is, but it's normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow good post. I think during teenage years people tend to feel so many strong, conflicting emotions that they often need the catharsis of listening to overly emotional music, which as you age and mature, begins to seem cliched and melodramatic. I think this is because as we get older we are more in control of how we feel and more confident within ourselves, and we begin to think more, and feel less. However, humans are emotional creatures and can always use catharsis or company from music to some extent, and oftentimes, it's sad or brooding music that does the trick.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:59 AM

Anyone listen to Desaparecidos?