Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 02:43 PM

Default How do you pick your tables?

I'm curious how you all pick your tables at the small stakes limit games?

I don't use Poker Tracker or any other sort of software at the moment. From the lobby I usually look at avg. pot size and % players seeing the flop (my preference being tables with larger average pots and more players seeing the flop). But I also consider WHO is sitting at the table, using extensive notes I've written myself (so I'll occasionally skip a table with better lobby stats to sit where I know there are a few bad players).

So what do you poker tracker users do? Also, does the number of tables you intend to play at affect WHICH tables you play at (I tend to stick to 2-3 myself)?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Re: How do you pick your tables?

I believe most people datamine and then use Poker Ace Hud to decide where to sit. If I see a table with a lot of weak players then I'll want to sit at it. For example, if I see that there's 3 players with VPIPs over 50 that would be a good table to sit at. It's a little less desirable if there's those three and the rest are TAGs. The ideal would be having a lot of loose-passive players and as few TAGs as possible.

As far as number of tables, if you are only playing 2-3 tables then you can afford to be more selective than someone playing 6-10. However, note the changing nature of your tables and if some weak players leave and you're left with all TAGs then get out.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Re: How do you pick your tables?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious how you all pick your tables at the small stakes limit games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Carefully. Read on...

[ QUOTE ]
I don't use Poker Tracker or any other sort of software at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start using it, immediately. Go invest in PT. Invest in PokerAce. Invest in the PokerTrackerGuide. Note that I don't say "buy," but "invest." That's exactly what these tools are: investments. They will reap you many many many times their cost in returns the first month you use them. So get on it.

[ QUOTE ]
From the lobby I usually look at avg. pot size and % players seeing the flop (my preference being tables with larger average pots and more players seeing the flop). But I also consider WHO is sitting at the table, using extensive notes I've written myself (so I'll occasionally skip a table with better lobby stats to sit where I know there are a few bad players).

[/ QUOTE ]

Extensive note taking = good. Great practice for the thought process you'll need to play in B&M, and an added qualitative side to the quant data you get from the tools mentioned above. I do the same, and find it helps me maintain focus on the game as well.

As for table selection, use the buddy list feature if you're playing party. Every time you see a monster fish, BUDDY LIST HIS SOON TO BE BROKE ASS. My buddy list probably has 150 players on it. Some play 2/4. Others play 15/30. As long as I'm rolled for the game and feeling up to it, I'll face any of them at whatever game they're playing (if the table is goot). I'd rather play a great 2/4 table than an awful 10/20. Don't care if I'm overbankrolled for the 2/4. Once you've buddy listed the fish, click "search tables" in Part at the bottom and then click "player search." Check the buddies you want to search for, and then open the tables they're sitting at.

Equally important is table VPIP and raise%. You'll want to make sure you're seeking out games that suit your style, though I think all 2+2ers should instinctively want to play loose tables (whether passive or aggro - diff style req for each). Most long-term profit is there. PokerAce will do this for you.

Furthermore, be mindful of the default buy in. At Party, its 25BB. If there are a LOT of players sitting w/less than the default buy in, all things being equal, they're more likely to be losing players. This doesn't apply in every situation, but statistically it is significant.

Also, at 2/4 and up (but really at any level) SEAT SELECTION matters a ton. I could be sitting at a table with an awful 21VPIP average and 10%PFR, but if the guy to my immediate right is 45/2/0.5, then it is a great game for me to be in, since I can isolate him.

[ QUOTE ]
So what do you poker tracker users do? Also, does the number of tables you intend to play at affect WHICH tables you play at (I tend to stick to 2-3 myself)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Type of table doesnt impact which tables I play at, really. Unless I'm taking a shot at higher limits than usual, I play several tables at once. Be properly bankrolled and it shouldn't be an issue. As for what PT does, again, the PokerTrackerGuide (google it) is just solid gold. It will help you make great use of PT as a tool.

Good luck man.