Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 AM

Default Limit or No-Limit for a living?

I consider No Limit to be my best game but i am decent at both. Every book I read on playing for a living generally dedicates most of its time to limit without much discussion on no limit. Is there a reason for this or is limit just the way to go?
Old 11-03-2006, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Limit or No-Limit for a living?

You are reading the Limit books! LOL Read NL books.

NL is more of an art form and is MUCH harder to write about while Limit is more or a cookie cutter game.

If you are a winner in NL - stay with the game, you will make more. However, there are fewer winners in NL.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:04 AM

Start reading up on craps. A player with craps 'smarts' has a big, big edge.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

NL is more of an art form and is MUCH harder to write about while Limit is more or a cookie cutter game.

If you are a winner in NL - stay with the game, you will make more. However, there are fewer winners in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you start to treat limit like an artform rather than a cookie-cutter process, you can beat high limits and make more than almost all NL players.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:35 PM

Up until the last few years limit has been king. Online NL is so easily exploitable its a crime not to play. But if you are truely good at both. . .

Pick and choose the juiciest games and make a lotta bank!

Ret
Old 11-03-2006, 09:09 PM

I agree very much with the first half of that, but are you sure that the top limit players make more than the top nl players ?

What kind of rates are you suggesting in limit ?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you start to treat limit like an artform rather than a cookie-cutter process, you can beat high limits and make more than almost all NL players.

[/ QUOTE ]

johnny, i am intrigued! actually just posted a thread on my frustrations w/ how best to go about improving at limit. you seem to know what you're talking about (based on a couple of your posts i have read), so i'm curious to hear your thoughts.

i have been winning for awhile (and should make about a hundred k this year), but am definitely at a plateau on my learning curve. just don't really know how to take my game from the solid (but fairly abc) cookie-cutter level, to the more creative, artistic (as you say) game needed to truly succeed.

how do i become an artist, johnny!? peace...
Old 11-04-2006, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have been winning for awhile (and should make about a hundred k this year), but am definitely at a plateau on my learning curve. just don't really know how to take my game from the solid (but fairly abc) cookie-cutter level, to the more creative, artistic (as you say) game needed to truly succeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find it a little weird how someone who will make around 100k this year playing limit needs to as such a simple/general question like this...
Old 11-04-2006, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well put. schneids is a perfect example.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:13 PM

JohnnyHumongous - I agree. But until you hit those high limits $10/20 there really is no need to get away from ABC poker. Making Limit more art will get you another .5BB/100.