Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 PM

Default Limit strategy?

I have been reading sklanskys book on small stakes hold em.. I am currently at the part of the book of postflop drawing hands...Sklansky suggests that you should bet and raise with your strong drawing hands as if they were made hands, since it is all about how often a hand will win the pot if there is a showdown...Like holding KQ on a J-10-3 board, he suggests to bet this KQ as if it were AJ....I am new to limit poker...So I am asking for advice here...Is this a good strategy? Have any of you had success with this strategy? Please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Online results would be better since I am an online player...

Matt Yankley
Old 11-02-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Limit strategy?

Betting or raising is based on your pot equity so raising with a drawing hand is dependent on the number of people in the hand at the time of action. You must also figure in the amount of fold equity you gain by raising if you have less pot equity than needed to make a raise based on the merrits of the draw itself.

For example: In a HU situation you don't want to raise with your draw unless you can get villain to fold a better hand. If villain will not fold a better hand then you have no fold equity and you are better off calling...if your implied odds allow you to do so.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:25 AM

You can also use this play to try and get a free card if you think villain will call and check the turn.

I believe SSHE mentions your equity. For example, you have 8 outs. This gives you about 32% equity to the river. Therefore, if there are more than 4 people in the pot, you only end up putting in 25% of the money and you have an equity edge so you can raise for value. HU you are putting in 50% of the money and do not have the edge but you may still have pot odds to call.

What I find more interesting about these situations is that they talk about your equity to the river. ANyone have any thoughts about turn equity and river equity separately or the fact that 4 people may see the turn and only 2 the river?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like holding KQ on a J-10-3 board, he suggests to bet this KQ as if it were AJ

[/ QUOTE ]
As people point out, there's no hard and fast rule here. In this hand, you may have as many as 14 outs if behind, making you better than 50% to win the hand. Even if you have less outs, there's a good chance your bet or raise can force a hand that's beating you, like Ax or Tx to fold. In position, you should play this hand pretty fast because you can take advantage of your position. Out of position, this hand is much harder to play, although you'd still probably play it very fast if you have 2 or more opponents.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I find more interesting about these situations is that they talk about your equity to the river. ANyone have any thoughts about turn equity and river equity separately or the fact that 4 people may see the turn and only 2 the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to base your equity on the number of cards you expect to see. Normally, when you peel on the flop, you're basing your odds on your chances of hitting on the turn since you'll often fold then if you miss. However in some cases, like OP's example, you pretty much know you're not going to fold until the river so you need to calculate your equity based on seeing 2 cards instead of one.

It really doesn't matter how many people stay to the river, if there are 4 people in on the flop and you have 8 outs to the nuts and you know they'll all call your raise (and nobody has a set) then you have enough equity to make a raise +EV.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:51 PM

from which sklansky book is this(and what page)
Old 11-03-2006, 02:51 PM

Rule #1: Finish reading SSHE BEFORE you play LHE for $.

Odds are the strategy professed in the book will be very different from the strategy (if you have one) that you are currently using.

Other responders dropped a lot of terminology on you that you may or may not currently understand. The book will give you a common lexicon with the players here and make it easier for you to get value out of this site.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been reading sklanskys book on small stakes hold em.. I am currently at the part of the book of postflop drawing hands...Sklansky suggests that you should bet and raise with your strong drawing hands as if they were made hands, since it is all about how often a hand will win the pot if there is a showdown...Like holding KQ on a J-10-3 board, he suggests to bet this KQ as if it were AJ....I am new to limit poker...So I am asking for advice here...Is this a good strategy? Have any of you had success with this strategy? Please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Online results would be better since I am an online player...

Matt Yankley

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, the example you cite is a good hand to raise on, both of your hole cards would be needed to make a hand (thus less chance of someone duplicating your holdings) plus your draw is to the high end of the straight; also, there is no pair on the board, so a full house is not possible yet...you did not mention if the cards on the board were all different suits, because if their are two cards of the same suit on the board, a flush is possible...

okay, sorry if i overloaded you, but these are the issues you need to think through when playing such a hand, plus there are others...

here are some online articles on limit hold'em that i found helpful--there are other freebies out on the web, just try you search engine to find them...i read everything i can lay hold to, budget permitting (even the public library has some good stuff!!)--usually the info is the same that i have read elsewhere, but often the fresh presentation clicks with me and i add an idea or two to my arsenal...

http://www.lowlimitholdem.com/main/TheFlop.htm

hope this helps some...good luck <font color="green"> [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="green"> </font> <font color="green"> </font> </font>