Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 04:46 PM

Default I felt sorry for him.. more i think about it.. more its a brag

So Im at this live tourney at a local club over the weekend. Its a $360 buy in 40 players. Anyway during the first break, I end up making small talk with this guy, he tells me his son is also here and its his son's first time playing in a live tourney.. I meet the son.. basically they were really nice guys.. anyway a bit later on in the tourney the father gets moved to my table in a seat to my right ( we're down to 18 players ) And i notice along with his chips he has a picture of this woman. So i ask is that your wife..and he goes yea and then goes on to tell me how she just recently passed away in a car accident and i happen to look at the son across the table and he knew we were talking about his mother( btw he looked like he was about to cry). The father goes on to tell me how his son has been super depressed since this happened and this is actually his first time out of the house since this happened (about a month ago)

Well couple of rounds later i have aces in MP his son is the small blind.. i min raise he tanks and calls.. flop comes ( A K 2 ) he checks i check as well not really slow playing just didnt want to knock him out of the tourney just incase he had AK or somehting turn (2) he bets half the pot and i call River (blank) he goes all in..(he was kinda shortstacked).. ofcourse i call and he thought he had the nuts because he flipped open pocket kings like he finally got me ( table had been talking about how i was the best player there etc etc ) as all this is happenning i still havent turned over my hand.. so i didnt wanna slow roll the poor kid so i mucked.. anyway i ended up coming 5th got my money back.. he came in 2nd..
Old 11-02-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Beat : I felt sorry for him.. Dammit !!

you suck.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:48 PM

wow... takes nuts to do that - I just hope it aint a hustle : ) - seriously though nh :P brag
Old 11-02-2006, 04:49 PM

Somethings are more important than money, nh.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[bold]flop comes ( A K 2 ) he checks i check as well not really slow playing just didnt want to knock him out of the tourney just incase he had AK or somehting[/bold]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

Yeah keep your stack small and let somebody else who hasn't heard the story stack the guy with indifference.

*Edit* OMG I didn't even read until the end. Now THAT is so crazy I'm almost impressed. I still think slowrolling your A's and saying something to the effect of, "It's always a bad idea to play while grief-stricken over a loss, causes you to make bad plays" would be better though.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:51 PM

man you gotta flip the Aces...he would get over it and what if someone asked to see the hand? it would look like you were colluding...

You...got...played

Common man, i'd bust my own grandma at the table.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:54 PM

that's a beat, not a brag, but NH sir.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
man you gotta flip the Aces...he would get over it and what if someone asked to see the hand? it would look like you were colluding...

[/ QUOTE ]

No see thats the point.. I wasnt planning on mucking.. but he was soo damn happy and .. then it hit me sh.it i haven't opened my hand yet.. but by this point.. it would've looked like i slow rolled them.. so I decided to muck..