Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 10:02 PM

Default KTs vs. LAG and hot chick ($200)

Alright, heres my second hand from the same $200 Live MTT. I have ~50k, which is around 3rd or 4th in chips. The blinds have increased to 100/200. It is currently 8 handed, with 6 tables left. Top 25 are paid, with the $ being definitley skewed towards the top 3 places.

UTG folds, UTG + 1 calls 200, folded to the CO who calls, Hero calls 200 on the Button with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB folds, BB checks.

The flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG +1 bets 500, CO calls 500, Hero ?

Player Notes:
<u>Me:</u> 50k. I have been playing a pretty good LAG game, but have not gotten out of line too much. Very few of my bluffs have been contested, and for all they know I could be on a rush.
<u>UTG +1</u> 10k. An attractive female, probably around 25 years old. Shes a blonde, so she might not know what shes doing. She was playing a pretty tight game, however, and has only shown down JJ twice and AK once in the past 30-40 hands. I put her limping range at AJo+,ATs+,77+,KTs+,KJo+.
<u>CO:</u> 40k. Loose, creative player. About a 7 on the loose scale and an 8 for aggression. He was either related or friends with Tuan Lee, and his game definitley showed this. Last hand played w/ him he raised in EP with 68s, flopped a st8 and took a decent chunk off me and my overpair.
BB= Doesn't matter.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Re: KTs vs. LAG and hot chick ($200)

I like a raise to 2500 or a bit more.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:26 PM

Looks like a KQ or maybe AK type of hand from utg, draw for cutoff. I like a raise to 2000-2500. I just don't see the action going that way in front of you if you DON'T have the best hand.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 PM

Raise to 2k, assess dependent on where the 3-bet comes from, if it's UTG +1, you're probably behind a set or flopped straight, CO might come along on FD's.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:50 PM

But with a player as loose as CO, could a raise be a futile attempt to get him to lay down a draw? Could we raise bigger, or flat call the flop, hopefully dodge a scare card and then apply pressure on the turn?

Note: Not saying this is the line I believe is right, just trying to trigger some responses.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:56 PM

It's a bloat you can get away of if it's reraised. And you keep the pot size small enough to use position on the turn.

I'm not too worried about the draw coming along, as you have to think that UTG + 1 has a heart in her holding, which devalues CO's draw. 8 scare cards on the turn that should make you wary of CO, 2 cards to the immortal nuts.

The tricky part is the remaining T's. T's full of K's wouldn't be the strongest holding against two good opponents, as she might have JJ. You can consider the rest of the cards to be rags, and assess on turn action what you're up against. Raise bigger, you might run into a difficult repop decision against something you likely only have 4 outs against.

This is a weak 2 pair holding on a dodgy board against great opponents. With stacks these deep, is raising to 3k instead really getting rid of CO if UTG + 1 simply flatcalls?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:53 AM

Preflop: Limping is fine. Raising is fine as well.
Flop: Raise close to the pot. You are raising for value against the draws, because they aren't suddenly calling or bluffing into a multiway pot when they blank the turn/river.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 AM

I think here with the big stack and position you should reraise to about 2500 - you build a pot with what is probably the best hand and take the initiative with position - always a good spot. I don't like calling here mostly because if a blank turn goes bet-raise (not unlikely given your reads regardless of holdings) you are in a really really bad spot.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:11 AM

you have 250 bb's? what a structure!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:50 AM

Raise to 3k, fold to a push.