Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Dungeon 2 (SIGNUP)

I could start this on Monday or Tuesday (Nov 5/6) if people sign up by Friday night... Probably MM5 will have a lot of dead people by Monday, so that shouldn't conflict.

I think it requires at least 20 people (with one monster removed), preferably 24-26.

Comments or other role ideas welcome until the weekend when it's too late. Can also post them in the earlier Dungeon comments thread.

I have some alternates for the Monsters (zombie, different lich) if people think something's likely too broken.

--------

Basic rules same as in Dungeon 1.

Voting-melee at nightfall does damage equal to the number of votes, squared. Not all classes will be used. I will define a "skeleton" party with the key roles as I see fit, and then pretty much rand in the rest, so there could be no samurai or three samurai.

-------

Every Adventurer is a member of one of the following Classes (in no particular order):

Cleric: Each night, can optionally heal or harm another player. You may cast a total of five spells during the game, no more than one per night:
--* Heal: If the target is human, they are healed 20 points. If the target is undead, there is no effect.
--* Turn Undead: If the target is undead, they take 20 damage. If the target is human, there is no effect.

High Priest: Each night, can optionally heal or harm another player. You may cast a total of two spells during the game, no more than one per night:
--* Heal: If the target is human, they are healed 50 points. If the target is undead, there is no effect.
--* Turn Undead: If the target is undead, they take 50 damage. If the target is human, there is no effect.

Druid: Can use each of the following abilities once per game, at night, no more than one ability per night:
--* Blanket of Health: All Humans gain 10 health. The use of this spell is announced publically, but does not reveal who cast it.
--* Invisibility: Take no damage from voting-melee the next day.
--* Armor of Thorns: Anyone attacking you that night takes an amount of damage equal to the damage they do to you.
--* Entangling Roots: Roleblock a player.

Paladin: Each night, can optionally protect any other player (even Undead) from all damage taken, but he himself will take half the damage amount. He can protect himself in this way, and thus take only half damage from attacks. This absorbed damage cannot be mitigated (e.g. by another paladin protecting the first paladin).

Barbarian: Starts with either 100, 120 or 150 health. Each night, can optionally choose to attack another player with his axe, dealing 0, 10 or 30 points of damage (randomly determined).

Wizard: Starts with 60 health points. Can use each of the following abilities once per game, at night, no more than one ability per night:
--* Lightning Bolt: Smite another player with a lightning bolt, dealing 50 points of damage.
--* Illusory Twin: Avoid all night effects aimed at you.
--* Fireball: Burn three players for 30 damage each. You choose one target, and the other two players are those immediately above and below them on the active player list at the time (wrapping around from top to bottom).
--* Rune: The following day, anyone who attacks you in voting-melee takes 20 damage at nightfall.

Diviner: Seer. Learns the class or monster-name of one selected target per night. A diviner MIGHT get a Night 0 peek. There will be at least one Diviner in the Party, but no more than two.

Mystic: Starts with 80 health points. Senses any spell cast by a player, though not who cast it nor what the target was. Can select one player each night, and if that player casts a spell that night, learns specifically what it was.

Monk: Starts with 80 health points. Does two attacks (on the same target) during voting-melee. Automatically avoids one attack on him (if any) during voting-melee. If undamaged during any night phase, the Monk meditates and recovers 20 health at dawn.

Thief: His sharp night senses allow him a 50% chance of learning the identity of each person who attempted to damage him with a night effect (attack, spell, etc), but not their role or specific damage amount.

Assassin: Starts with 80 health points. The assassin uses a poisoned blade. He may attack any player at night for 30 damage, and they then take a further 10 damage every night from then on. After using the poisoned blade, the assassin must re-apply the poison the next night and cannot make another attack then. The blade is poisoned at the start of the game.

Samurai: Does an additional 10 damage to whoever he attacks in voting-melee, at nightfall. Any voting-melee damage done to the samurai is reduced by 10.

Knight: Starts with either 100 or 120 health points. Each night, can optionally choose to attack another player with his sword, doing 0 or 10 points of damage (randomly determined). In addition, he uses a Holy Sword, and his melee attack and night attack both only harm Undead, not Humans.

Shadow Knight: Starts with either 100 or 120 health points. Each night, can optionally choose to attack another player with his mace, doing 10 points of damage. If not attacking, can choose to Harm Touch another player, where BOTH the Shadow Knight AND the target take any amount of damage the Knight wishes to inflict, up to the Knight's current health total at the time the attack takes place. The Knight can die from this ability, and the self-damage cannot be absorbed by another source (e.g. the Paladin).

Bard: Vote-buyer. At each Nightfall, can optionally redirect any one player's attack (within five minutes after nightfall) onto another player of your choice.

Ranger: Each night, can optionally choose to track another player's movements. There is a 50% chance that you will learn whatever night action they took, including the primary Evil night attack. If you do witness the primary night attack, there is a 50% chance that you will be spotted and revealed to the Evil group as a Ranger. You will not know the difference between failing to track someone and succeeding on someone who takes no action.

Sorceror: Starts with 60 health points. Can use each of the following abilities an unlimited number of times per game, at night, no more than one ability per night:
--* Lightning Bolt: Smite another player with a lightning bolt, dealing either 10 or 30 points of damage (randomly determined).
--* Protection from Magic: Any magical night effect (including heals) aimed at you has no effect.
--* Protection from Physical Harm: Any physical night effect (including an assassin attack, but not including pre-existing poisons) aimed at you has no effect.

--------

The Evil group must choose a player to make each night's attack. That attack can either be 100 damage on a single target, or 30 damage on each of three targets, at the player's option. The Evil attack is always the first damage dealt in an otherwise random sequence. The Evil roles are:

Skeleton: Undead. Immune to damage from a blade. Takes no damage from Barbarians, Samurai, or Assassins in either voting-melee or night actions. The Knight's holy weapon still inflicts damage.

Ghoul: Undead. Role-blocker. Each night, can optionally paralyze one player, whose night actions then have no effect.

Vampire: Undead. Starts with 120 health points. If the Vampire does the multi-target night attack, it does 40 damage to each target. Each night, attempt to name the class of the Monster attack target. If you are correct and the target dies, you steal his essence and may use that person's power on a future night and the following day, once. Stolen abilities are "evilized" (e.g. a Cleric heal can be used on a Monsters, or Turn Undead can be used against Human players). If the essence has more than one ability (e.g. Wizard spells), you may choose any one of the given options.

Ghost: Undead. Immune to all night effects, except a Diviner Peek, a Turn Undead spell, or an attack by a Knight.

Lich: Undead. Starts with 150 health points. If the Lich does a single night attack, it does 120 damage instead of 100. At the beginning of the game, chooses another player, unaware, to hold his soul as his Phylactery. If the Lich is killed but the Phylactery is still alive, the Lich does not die and is reset to full health, while the Phylactery takes 50 damage. The Lich's identity is not revealed. The second time the Lich is killed, he is dead. If there is a Mystic alive, the Mystic detects the use of the Phylactery to cheat death.

Necromancer: Human. Starts with 60 health points. If the Necromancer does the single night attack, it does 80 damage instead of 100. Can use each of the following abilities an once per game, at night, no more than one ability per night:
--* Lightning Bolt: Smite another player with a lightning bolt for 30 points of damage.
--* Fireball: Burn three players for 10 damage each. You choose one target, and the other two players are those immediately above and below them on the active player list at the time (wrapping around from top to bottom).
--* Spikes: Increase the damage of the night attack by 50 points for a single attack, or 10 points for multiple attacks.
--* Rune: The following day, anyone who attacks you in voting-melee takes 10 damage at nightfall.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Dungeon 2 (SIGNUP)

in for Dungeon 3 when I'm back in the states for good. I don't like this whole stop posting/reading at 5:00pm then wake up to see if I'm dead/who died/what happened.

in other words: looks good but out.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:28 PM

how are you going to prevent mass roleclaiming?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 PM

IN.
Thoughts:
Would be nice if the Diviner would see if someone is the Phylactery. Double-kill characters are very powerful; party will need all the help they can get there.
If the Lich and his Phylactery die in the same voting-melee, the Lich still dies, right?
Probably should limit the number of Rangers, too, maybe even Diviners+Rangers to no more than 3 - lots of villagers will be using a power every night, so the Ranger has a decent chance of clearing a few villagers. I might be over-estimating the power of the Ranger, though.
You'd mentioned in the ideas thread that the evils may get a list of what roles are in the game - I think that's a good idea. Evils probably need to know exactly what they are hunting for.
There will still be the 2x/3x/4x on the voting damage as # of players decreases?
I like the evil roles as-is. I'll have to really look at all the player powers from a Vamp perspective, though - there might be a lot of questions to answer ahead of time.
I hope your spreadsheet is up to the task on this one, it will be VERY confusing.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how are you going to prevent mass roleclaiming?

[/ QUOTE ]
Vamp ability helps some.
Also, lack of knowledge of how many roles there are lets the evils roleclaim too.
Not sure if this is sufficient, though.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:43 PM

Should be sufficient. Everyone in the game can roleclaim day 1 and how long would it take to figure out the evils before they picked off every important villager?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 PM

Thoughts:
Would be nice if the Diviner would see if someone is the Phylactery. Double-kill characters are very powerful;
I could see that. Or I can adjust the damage (if any) taken by the phyl upon use
party will need all the help they can get there.
If the Lich and his Phylactery die in the same voting-melee, the Lich still dies, right?
yes
Probably should limit the number of Rangers, too, maybe even Diviners+Rangers to no more than 3 - lots of villagers will be using a power every night, so the Ranger has a decent chance of clearing a few villagers. I might be over-estimating the power of the Ranger, though.
The ranger is about a 1/4 - 1/3 seer by my estimation
You'd mentioned in the ideas thread that the evils may get a list of what roles are in the game - I think that's a good idea. Evils probably need to know exactly what they are hunting for.
I'll have to think about that, but probably makes sense
There will still be the 2x/3x/4x on the voting damage as # of players decreases?
yes, I just didn't add in the whole top section of the D1 rules
I like the evil roles as-is. I'll have to really look at all the player powers from a Vamp perspective, though - there might be a lot of questions to answer ahead of time.
I hope your spreadsheet is up to the task on this one, it will be VERY confusing.
I hope so.. the main problem with D1 was just PMing 20 people at once [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2006, 06:55 PM

some of these good roles will not be in the game correct? like variable # of each role can be 0?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:37 PM

In, haven't read the rules yet.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:41 PM

In

Having two evils that are immune to most night attacks seems a bit too much as it will cause the villagers either to simply not use any of their powers.... or end up killing each other.

Also, is the Necromancer a godfather?