Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 12:42 PM

Default OOT Tell me about Austin, TX

I have a friend that moved to Austin, TX not that long ago. He absolutely loves it, says there is no shortage of jobs out there and just a ton of fun stuff to do.

I'm highly considering picking up and moving out there. I would like to get more people's perspective on the city.

Where are good areas to get an apartment, where are bad areas? Job situation (I myself do Customer Serivce/Administrative work...but could do pretty much anything that doesnt absolutely require a college degree.)

Let me know your thoughts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: OOT Tell me about Austin, TX

Austin is a great place to live.
Living is relatively expensive if you're want to live downtown. I'd suggest between the area between 35th/45th street and between Mopac and I35 as a pretty good place to live (Search for Hyde Park). Still pretty centrally located. Living further South and East is also pretty affordable. I don't spend too much time in South Austin, as I don't usually go further South than Downtown, but it's a pretty cool place to live from what I hear. I work North and I refuse to deal with the traffic.
There's a lot of good outdoors stuff if you're into that. Plenty of good swimming and parks in the city, and there's a lot of cool places to the West in Hill Country.
A really fun place to live. A lot of what many people don't like about Texas isn't too prevalent in Austin. Really great places to eat too, and the night life is pretty decent. FWIW I'm a 25 year old college grad.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:59 PM

Nice thanks.

Yeah, I'm 25 and I'm just looking for a total change of pace. I dont want to deal with winter, I dont have any ties up here right now. I feel like I just want a laid back place to live, w/ fun and nice people and a place where I can get paid releatively well (I make $17/hr appx now) and where rent isnt crazy like it is up here.

Night life isnt a huge deal for me, but if I lived in the city I'd be more apt to go out and feel like I havent done enough of that. Boston is a bitch IMO to go out and have fun. Especially since I dont drive in there, nor do I drive drunk.

It's looking more and more like Austin might be where it's at for me right now. Just trying to get the most info possible.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:01 PM

It's the greatest city in America.

Beautiful weather year round... very hot in the summer (but not oppressive), cool in the winter (but no snow).

Great restaurants of every kind, especially Mexican.

Sports--Longhorns football, Round Rock Express baseball (AAA affiliate of Astros), lots of participatory sports (golf, lots of run trails, hiking, rowing, disc golf, whatever).

It's the Live Music Capital of the World, with hundreds of venues hosting every kind of music every night of the week. Sixth Street is a famous strip of bars and merriment.

You are minutes away from the Texas hill country, rolling green hills and crystal blue lakes... boating, water skiing, sunset watching, naked sunbathing, etc.

Traditionally, east of I-35 and/or south of Town Lake was less desirable for housing, but that is changing. Nicest areas of town are to the north and west. Housing is not cheap.

Traffic is a problem, but crime is not too bad. It's a liberal center of a conservative state, if you're into politics. The town is very progressive/liberal/arty/weird, and proud of it.

Come on down, you'll love it!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:02 PM

I live in Austin. I love the town although it's different from the sleepy college town it was when I first visited 20 years ago. Live west of I-35 and as close as possible to downtown/where you work. Jobs are plentiful at this time. It's a fun town with a young vibe. Give me specific questions and I'll answer as best as possible.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's the greatest city in America.

Beautiful weather year round... very hot in the summer (but not oppressive), cool in the winter (but no snow).

Great restaurants of every kind, especially Mexican.

Sports--Longhorns football, Round Rock Express baseball (AAA affiliate of Astros), lots of participatory sports (golf, lots of run trails, hiking, rowing, disc golf, whatever).

It's the Live Music Capital of the World, with hundreds of venues hosting every kind of music every night of the week. Sixth Street is a famous strip of bars and merriment.

You are minutes away from the Texas hill country, rolling green hills and crystal blue lakes... boating, water skiing, sunset watching, naked sunbathing, etc.

Traditionally, east of I-35 and/or south of Town Lake was less desirable for housing, but that is changing. Nicest areas of town are to the north and west. Housing is not cheap.

Traffic is a problem, but crime is not too bad. It's a liberal center of a conservative state, if you're into politics. The town is very progressive/liberal/arty/weird, and proud of it.

Come on down, you'll love it!

[/ QUOTE ]

The apartment searches I've done have been really really cheap IMO. What's car insurance like if I lived in the city (how much we talking per month/year?)
Old 11-01-2006, 01:13 PM

Apartments can be found very cheap here ~$375 for decent apts in not so decent areas (although crime isn't horrible here). Nice apartments in nice areas can be found for around 600-700 dollars a month as long as you don't live right by the University of in downtown.

Lifestyle is pretty much like everyone else said there are tons of restauraunts, good bars, and places to ride your bike in the city. It is also the only somewhat big liberal city in Texas which is much different than Houston or Dallas.

The only bad things are is that it's kind of humid if you aren't used to that (and hot as hell in the summer), and traffic can suck during rush hour if you are going near downtown or U of Texas.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice thanks.

Yeah, I'm 25 and I'm just looking for a total change of pace. I dont want to deal with winter, I dont have any ties up here right now. I feel like I just want a laid back place to live, w/ fun and nice people and a place where I can get paid releatively well (I make $17/hr appx now) and where rent isnt crazy like it is up here.

Night life isnt a huge deal for me, but if I lived in the city I'd be more apt to go out and feel like I havent done enough of that. Boston is a bitch IMO to go out and have fun. Especially since I dont drive in there, nor do I drive drunk.

It's looking more and more like Austin might be where it's at for me right now. Just trying to get the most info possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

T,

Want to rent the upstairs of my house?
Old 11-01-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boston is a bitch IMO to go out and have fun. Especially since I dont drive in there, nor do I drive drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you live way out in Worcester or something. Anyone who lives within a reasonable distance of Boston knows that this statement is totally false. It is fairly easy to get out and have a good time in Boston without too much hassle. Austin is nice, climate wise, and maybe what you need but Boston >>> Austin in just about every other aspect.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boston is a bitch IMO to go out and have fun. Especially since I dont drive in there, nor do I drive drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you live way out in Worcester or something. Anyone who lives within a reasonable distance of Boston knows that this statement is totally false. It is fairly easy to get out and have a good time in Boston without too much hassle. Austin is nice, climate wise, and maybe what you need but Boston >>> Austin in just about every other aspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Austin >> Boston in annoying accents.