Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 02:42 AM

Default PSA: Couple Great Beers

Well, now that I'm officially a slave to Beverages & More, I get to take advantage of some perks. One being, getting beer a t a discount, and getting a paid entry into the Friday beer tastings, etc.

I'm on a mission to taste test every single beer there in the next two months. I'm not going to go into an in depth analysis of each beer. For one, I'm not a beer connoisseur, YET. In addition, I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick out certain characteristics...I'm working on it though!

Without further ado..

Tonights lineup:

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat- Pretty damn good, very different, cherry is mild, but noticeable. Would purchase again. 7/10

Anderson Valley Barney Flat Oat Stout- (will update later)

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale- Amazing. Amazing if you like a strong, nutty ale, and are a fan of Sierra Neavada. I think the alcohol content is a bit higher in this brew. 9/10.

I recommend ALL of these beers. All three strong contenders, and if you can find them on sale, pick up a six pack, or even better, a case.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Re: PSA: Couple Great Beers

Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada is nothing new. I think it's widely known that these are solid.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:48 AM

Welcome to the wide wonderful world of beers that aren't Budweiser, Miller, or Coors! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada is nothing new. I think it's widely known that these are solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get the Celebration Ale year round? How long has the Cherry Wheat been out? These are your standard beers. To me, these are less known runs that most people can't find at Safeway...
Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the wide wonderful world of beers that aren't Budweiser, Miller, or Coors! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] beer. I hate piss.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get the Celebration Ale year round? How long has the Cherry Wheat been out? These are your standard beers. To me, these are less known runs that most people can't find at Safeway...

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I live in MA so I can't get any beer at supermarkets. I always have to go to a liquor store. I've only tried the Celebration Ale once or twice, but the Cherry Wheat has been around for as long as I've been going to liquor stores(which isn't long, I'm only 22).
Old 11-01-2006, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Celebration Ale should be a strictly winter time brew. I love winter beers because of the bold taste and higher content. I hade some Jubeale this weekend. That Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is my least favorite Sam Adams beer. Can't stand it really.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:37 AM

Just poured a glass of the Oatmeal Stout. Damn. This thing is darker than Mahogany, and has a great oatmeal nose with a smooth finish. I've heard great things about Anderson Valley Brewing company.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:53 AM

I just bought a a 6-pack of Celebration to ... well celebrate the new NBA season. It must've just been released. Can't get it year round.

There's a great beer thread in the lounge, btw.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:17 AM

SN's Celebration is not available year-round. If you look at your sixer, you should be able to see a year on it. If yours says 2005, be ready to be amazed by this year's. The Celebration is absolutely one of my favorite commercial beers.

I may try Sam's Cherry Wheat again just to see. I remember thinking that it was better than most "fruit" beers, but not liking it as much as other, "regular" styles. Sweetwater's Blue is my favorite in that category.

As a private rant, Michelob has its sampler at the stores again, and this time around it includes a porter. I would love to try some of these beers, which include the Marzen, the porter, and some others, but I don't want to buy the whole package. I think its only got one change from last year's pack. Maybe you can buy sixers in St. Louis.

There's a test brewery in StL that puts out small (~1500 barrel) batches of new brews to test the waters, and I'd love to get my hands on those. In any case, the Mich sampler is geared to the microbrew crowd, so if you like beer but would like to try something more flavorful than BMC but not as extreme as some micros can be, the Mich holiday sampler would be a great pick up.