Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Stupid Easy PF Question

Sorry for the very basic questions. Long time LHE player trying to learn NLH.

Table conditions are fairly normal for a full-ring NLH25 table. Maybe 28% VPIP with 4-6% PFR. Your stack is roughly average at about $25.

You are dealt a small pp (66-22) in very early position UTG/UTG+1. There is a pretty good chance that if you limp you will get 2-3 limpers behind plus the bb but the chance of a raise if fairly small. If you raise 3X there is a fairly good chance you get 1-2 callers or win the blinds. If you raise 4-5X you will most probably win the blinds.

What is the standard play here. I hate open limping. I hate raising 3X and playing with bad position. I hate raising 4-5X and most probably winning the blinds.

Assistance would be apprecaited.

SMS
Old 10-31-2006, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Stupid Easy PF Question

I don't recommend to play small pairs (22-55) from early position at all. If table is passive and there's seldom a raise preflop, then it's OK to limp in with these. You said it yourself "I hate open limping. I hate raising 3X and playing with bad position. I hate raising 4-5X and most probably winning the blinds.".
Old 10-31-2006, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the very basic questions. Long time LHE player trying to learn NLH.

Table conditions are fairly normal for a full-ring NLH25 table. Maybe 28% VPIP with 4-6% PFR. Your stack is roughly average at about $25.

You are dealt a small pp (66-22) in very early position UTG/UTG+1. There is a pretty good chance that if you limp you will get 2-3 limpers behind plus the bb but the chance of a raise if fairly small. If you raise 3X there is a fairly good chance you get 1-2 callers or win the blinds. If you raise 4-5X you will most probably win the blinds.

What is the standard play here. I hate open limping. I hate raising 3X and playing with bad position. I hate raising 4-5X and most probably winning the blinds.

Assistance would be apprecaited.

SMS

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your style. Seems like you're new so you don't have much of a style yet. Just play tight and fold.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:52 AM

If your table is that passive 4-6% preflop raise, and you know your getting limpers, limp in. Call a raise of 4bb's if someone raises. Obviously at an aggressive table preflop with alot of RERAISING going on, its not profitable to limp with low pairs. But if the table is a standard passive 1 raise type table, limping is fine, calling a raise of 4bbs is fine.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:02 AM

I raise any pp from any position when I'm the first to enter the pot.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:08 AM

I raise 4x+1 any PP any position at these stakes
Old 10-31-2006, 11:12 AM

In full-ring game?

If someone is new to the no limit, this is something that I strongly advice not to do. It's OK to raise these hands from late position, if you're first to enter the pot, but not from UTG.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In full-ring game?

If someone is new to the no limit, this is something that I strongly advice not to do. It's OK to raise these hands from late position, if you're first to enter the pot, but not from UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Set mining in low limit games is one of the most profitable things you can do. Don't worry about open limping at this level. Most villians will never notice. Hit your set, play it fast and get paid. Some donk will stack off with two pair/draw/tptk. The only situation I will not call is if there is a raise and re-raise before it gets to you in any position. At lower levels, you are likely to see a push preflop.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:52 PM

I agree set-mining is where alot of money is made. I find PPs especially small ones easy to play from any position, since you hit a set or you fold post-flop. I don't mind getting raised either after limping, because it is just a greater chance of stacking the player if you hit. Agreed though with alot of raising and re-raising small pairs lose most of their value.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:01 PM

This is an area of my game that I have been working on recently, I have found that if I raise 4 times UTG or in early position then you tend to make more money if you hit you're set.
I'm not a big fan of open limping, especialy in early position because there's just too many players that limp in after you or push you off your hand with a raise.

Raise it up 4x w/ any small pp - you'll see more rewards when you do hit the set! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]