Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 02:40 AM

Default Reading on Stud8

I am looking for advice on reading material on Stud 8. I am more of a stud high and razz player, but I need to improve my split games as they are my weakest games in the HORSE game. I have read the H/L section in SS2 and SS1, and have ordered Ray Zee's High low split book. Are there any others that would be recommened, or would there be other places that I should start before I tackle Ray Zee's book. Thanks for the advice
Old 10-31-2006, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Reading on Stud8

The high-low section in the original S/S is excellent, although it's not specifically geared towards stud/8. Todd Brunson's section in SS2 is very good, perhaps the best chapter in the book. But Ray Zee's book is what you need.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:29 AM

Absolutely .. Zee's book is where it's at. You can reread it after you gain experience and it will teach you something new every time.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:46 AM

Disagree with that, Zees is pretty basic certainly nothing I hadnt already learnt playing the game over 20k+ hands before I got the book, rereading Todd Brunsons in SS2 will teach you stuff on rereads.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:36 PM

I do not like the way Zee's book is written, and I think he has some flaws (such has playing three big suited cards). Todd's chapter is great, and Zee's book will be a decent addition to it.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:05 PM

You have to remember that Zee's book was written more for large games (100-200 etc.) where the ante/big bet ratio is signicantly higher than the games most people play, thus stealing is more important.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:08 AM

Ok, well I finally got Zee's book- I only play .50/1 HORSE (overrolled but I'm still learning some of the games) and it's already made a dramatic improvement in my playing. Of course, that didn't take much as I had no idea what I was doing in Stud8 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And thanks to the forum for pointing me in that direction.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:42 PM

I don't like how Todd Plays the big pairs on 4th st vs baby, baby, otherwise I think it's concise and sound advice. Zee only recommends big str8 flush cards. If you connect with Todd's advice, np .. it all comes down to knowing your opponents and live cards anyway.