Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 04:05 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Good idea or stupid? Opinions please.

It is no secret that I have struggled with learning to play O/8. Two weeks ago I finally won enough that Poker Tracker Omaha was in the green. Based upon that I returned to live play and had small wins playing 10-20 with a half kill.

The WSOP Circuit event is here at Caesar's IN and we are actually getting an O/8 game going from time to time. I have played it three times. Won the first session of about five hours and the next day the game only lasted about 45 minutes before it broke leaving me down $79 for that session.

Last week on Monday there was two idiot fish playing 10-20 O/8 on Poker Stars I sat in and you can assume that because I am making this post, those fish ate my lunch. I found a soft spot, took a shot, it didn't work, no big deal. My most recent live session was a very similar experience. Every time I had this one guy crushed, he managed to catch the exact card he needed.

I came home Saturday night really aggravated at O/8 also poker in general but mostly O/8. I decided that I am not going to play any more live O/8 until I win enough online to cover my live losses.

I am VPIP 28.09% won at showdown 33.07% and I am up $108 over 7,700 hands on Poker Stars. I am down $505 on party so I am back in the hole for the total online O/8 experience.

Do you think this is a good decision? The one thing I never want to be is the guy that comes to the poker room everyweek and always loses. If I can't beat a game, I don't want to continue to play. I quit live O/8 until I got Poker Tracker in the green andsince my return to live play I have two small wins, one small loss and one big loss. My sample size is probably way too small but my frustration level is huge so I am inclined to believe it is a good idea.

I would really like some feedback.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Good idea or stupid? Opinions please.

Hey, steam, chill out newbie. That goes for me, too, lol. I just played my 2nd live O/8 and this time came out ahead. I know you from the limit board and most of your thinking is pretty reasonable. I think we need to build into this game the same way we built into decent, I hope, LHE & NLHE players.

Your post mentions NOTHING of your PF strategy. I got beat my first time out in O/8, but I was pleased with the way I played because I had a strategy, but my cards just sucked. Same strategy in Round 2 with better cards = winner.

So review your foundations, right down to PF strategy. When converting from Hold 'Em it is WAY too easy to chase your life away, but getting rivered is gonna happen worse in O/8 than Hold 'Em. Too many combo's unless you hold the true nuts. Your post was all about live results, not how you play. I can't comment on your stats because I only play live. I would hang in live with short sessions where I could review my play. And, as they constantly state on the limit board, post some hands, and let the veterans of this game guide us.

Good luck to both of us.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:32 PM

Just started O/8 myself. I keep forgetting to play only the nuts, and just the ##### nuts. I didn't realize how volitile this game was until I sat down last time, with a full house that came in third place, and yes I was betting and paying the whole way! :-(
Old 10-30-2006, 05:56 PM

I don't have pt for omaha, but your won $ at showdown seems very low.

Does this number only include scoops?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:28 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I don't actually know. Poker Tracker rates me as Sloose with fair WSD. Maybe I am calling too much.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:04 PM

VPIP 28.09% = High for a newby
w$sd 33.07% = Low for anyone
108/77 = $1.40/100 @ $10/$20 LO8b = marginally breakeven

If you couple this with ($505) on Party, you are playing beyond your skill level. You rated "two idiot fish" in the PS session. Apparently the "two fish" played better than you (although, it's not unusualy for some to hit/run better).
Just on the limited information you provide, you should drop down to a lower level until you can get your stats Positive before you climb into the pit with "two idiot fish."

What other information could you relate about the games you played.
(1) Full ring or SHanded
(2) How big was your stack (sufficient to play long session or short stack) How many bigbets did you sit behind.
(3) Game selection criteria (a) hands/hour, (b) players per flop, & (c) average Pot size.
(4) What types of hands does your PTO software show you playing the most often? Have you reviewed the types of hands that cost you money? Have you decided to change your hand selection criteria for entering pots (this is usually the first place to look for leaks).

Are you an action junkie? My best friend, that got me into O8b, is an action junkie & plays VP$IP close to 40%, but he has some excellent skills at post-flop play.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:05 PM

I assume you are talking about limit. What stakes. Why not play at the low stakes til you have enough hands to get a better idea. If you are unsure of your play it only makes sense to start at lower stakes. 7000 hands isn't just a small sample size it is virtually nothing. Play online til you at least have a clue and have stopped questioning yourself on every play.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:39 PM

I am going to assume you are playing limit Omaha 8.

If that is the case, a Win$Showdown of 33% is absolutely horrible. You should be over 60% and preferrably closer to 70%. Remember this is a split game. You win a lot of half pots. If you are calling down with second nuts, you are going to be looking at a lot of green felt.

So how do you improve that number? Easy, just remember a couple of things:
Draw to the nuts and nothing else.
Peddle the nuts.
Don't call with second best hands.

Omaha is a game of peddling the nuts.

If you are drawing to a flush, you should have the suited Ace in your hand and the board not paired.
If you are drawing to a straight, it should be the high end and no flush or pair on the board.
If you are drawing to a low, it better be the nut low.

As for your VPIP of 28%, this is a little high, but not alarming.

If you have 7-8-9 in your hand muck it. Those three ranks are absolutely worthless in an Omaha High-Low game.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you couple this with ($505) on Party, you are playing beyond your skill level. You rated "two idiot fish" in the PS session. Apparently the "two fish" played better than you (although, it's not unusualy for some to hit/run better).

[/ QUOTE ]

Both were at 50% VPIP and one twice showed me a runner runner wheel to scoop. If they are three betting the flop with a runner runner low draw, they are idiot fish.

I play full ring games on Poker Stars and pick he tables with the highest VPIP%. I buy in for the default amount when you click on your seat and add chips or leave if I get low.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:59 PM

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that the 33% is your WSD (Went to Showdown) and not W$SD (Won $ at Showdown). So the good news is you don't suck, as bad as it appears, but the bad news is you are still a moron. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Why the hell are you playing so high? Beat the heck out of some levels before you move up. If you can't, then switch to PL08 and come donate.