Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 04:34 AM

Default poker dvd\'s

any reviews on the various dvd's out there on nl holdem .. as well as caros dvd on tells?? for someone whos read the best and latest titles would dvd's really help at all? I heard some of lederers are really good ... how about helmuths?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:16 AM

Default Re: poker dvd\'s

If you've read and understand the books, you probably don't need to spend on DVDs. I've seen most of them and own about a dozen DVDs. Lederer's Fantasy Poker Camp dvd has some good information on growing as a player, developing your own style and I really enjoy that DVD, although it has no poker strategy. That's one of the most important DVDs I own. Phil Gordon's DVD was well done, but it didn't really add a lot of information I didn't know already. I just wanted to see it because it was so well done. Annie Duke's DVD was pretty good and it could add some things you haven't gotten from books. Hellmuth's DVDs are very basic and have short running times. You might actually become a worse player after veiwing a Hellmuth DVD. Never seen Caro's DVD or heard anything about it, but you could probably do a search.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:34 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

Ed Miller for limit, Rolf Slotboom for NL and soon to be released Byron Jaobs for short handed/heads up play.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:49 PM

Howard Lederer's "More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em" was very good I thought. It goes into pretty good detail and helped me think a lot when I was getting started. It's only $11.99 on Amazon right now, so it's not too expensive to take a look.

Caro's DVD was alright, at least it was easier to learn from than the book since you could see the person's whole movement and not just a few still pictures.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Annie Duke's DVD was pretty good

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means Playing with the big boys or whatever it's called. Not the 1st level one.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Annie Duke's DVD was pretty good

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means Playing with the big boys or whatever it's called. Not the 1st level one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the one with the section on tells on it. That video was surprisingly useful.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:23 PM

Yeah, I meant the Annie Duke advanced dvd, playing with the big boys. Her information on tells was really good, as well as her methods of dealing with a maniac at the table. She demonstrated a lot of intelligence in the 90 minutes she had on that DVD. Her brother Lederer is also good, specifically his "more" secrets of NL hold'em DVD. Lederer wrote the scripts and teaching material for all his dvds himself and really worked hard on the dvds and it showed in the final product. He genuinely seems to want to get people to understand more on poker and he doesn't need to do it to make another buck.

On a side note, the person who showed Annie Duke the tells she shows on her DVD has written a book and it comes out in about a week (Nov. 7). It's Read'em and Reap by Joe Navarro. This is going to be good stuff. He also has a presentation in Vegas later next month for $999 per person on the information from the book (limited to the first 100 people). Makes the $13 for the book seem like a bargain [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], I can't wait.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 PM

I recently purchased a stack of poker DVDs with the intention of watching and writing reviews (and possibly learn something new). I'm looking forward to doing it. Now I just need some free time. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Howard Lederer's "More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em" was very good I thought. It goes into pretty good detail and helped me think a lot when I was getting started. It's only $11.99 on Amazon right now, so it's not too expensive to take a look.

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire set of all 4 of Lederer's DVDs are currently available for less than $12 on amazon. Rather than search the DVD section, it is located in the sports and outdoors section. Go to amazon and paste "Set of 4 Howard Lederer Poker DVDs. Win at World Series of Poker with Howard" into the search and you will see it. Great deal for someone who doesn't have them yet.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire set of all 4 of Lederer's DVDs are currently available for less than $12 on amazon. Rather than search the DVD section, it is located in the sports and outdoors section. Go to amazon and paste "Set of 4 Howard Lederer Poker DVDs. Win at World Series of Poker with Howard" into the search and you will see it. Great deal for someone who doesn't have them yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great info, thanks Dub.