Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 12:35 AM

Default Donk this river?

I keep finding myself in EP with a made flush or straight draw with a decision to donk or check raise. I feel like donking is bad, then again I miss bets when I check sometimes. I know I can safely check raise a maniac but against an unknown what do I do?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 01-31-2006, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Donk this river?

I would...and stop the action right before your action on the river.

-Jaran
Old 01-31-2006, 12:45 AM

With that end of the straight? No.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:48 AM

okay now suppose I had the nut straight/flush, would you donk the river here?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
okay now suppose I had the nut straight/flush, would you donk the river here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would--too much of a risk of the bettor slowing down fearing the draw.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:52 AM

haha I basicaly got the conception that donking the river/turn is bad because I see so many people make comments on posts where a fish donks the river when he makes his straight or flush. I assumed that was "bad" play on the fish.I realize that most of the time that fish didnt have the correct odds the whole way, but sometimes they do.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haha I basicaly got the conception that donking the river/turn is bad because I see so many people make comments on posts where a fish donks the river when he makes his straight or flush. I assumed that was "bad" play on the fish.I realize that most of the time that fish didnt have the correct odds the whole way, but sometimes they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes they do. And what happens when they donk? We almost always pay it off anyway.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:02 AM

Depending on the other players in the hand, I could see a situation where I might donk the turn. If UTG gives up easy after the flop and the others are average fish it might be good. Average table it's definitely a check.

I'd probably donk the river too. That's a lousy board for a lot of PF raising hands, and I'd hate to see this get checked through. I'd just call a raise, and hope to see another 4 (and hope some pair/two pair hands called along.)
Old 01-31-2006, 01:08 AM

I would had folded preflop, if not..the turn? If someone disagrees please tell me why. I'm learning here.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would had folded preflop, if not..the turn? If someone disagrees please tell me why. I'm learning here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop for me is an easy call, you're getting 7-1 on a suited semi-connected hand that will be easy to get away from after the flop, closing the action so you don't have to worry about another raise.

The turn call seems fine, even if we toss the diamonds we've got 3 str8 outs and 3 2pair/trip outs. 6 outs needs 7-1 to call here, we're getting 10-1. Even discounting 1.5 more outs for st8 possibilities we're on the line to call. I don't think we can put villian on a set here.