Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 11:22 PM

Default river raise to drive away overcalls

Ok, dont have reads on the two villains so we are in the dark here. Please be nice since this is one of my first hands at 3-6 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How did i do? Was the flop cap ok? what do i realy beat on the river? Is this river raise the right thing to do to drive out overcalls (he might have a AK too) even since im beaten by MP1 most of the time.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (12.66 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

River: (15.66 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 19.66 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 19.66 BB, between MP1 and Hero.</font>
Old 01-30-2006, 11:31 PM

Default Re: river raise to drive away overcalls

I would just call the river unless you think you can make him fold 2 pair which is quite possible. I suppose that would take more than one hand to determine.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 PM

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this is NOT a raise to eliminate OVERCALLS. This is a pure bluff raise..., what hands do we beat?

I understand trying to apply pressure to the button..., it looked like he was trying to see a showdown on the cheap. But remember, your hand must beat the bettor (or at least get him to fold). Without a read, I don't like it here. I'd have to be VERY convinced that MP is capable of bluffing into a large pot before trying this.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this is NOT a raise to eliminate OVERCALLS. This is a pure bluff raise..., what hands do we beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

And there are a lot of reasons to think it has dismal chances of succeeding. MP1 must have a good draw to hang on on the turn. The river is your death card completing straights and flushes and then he bets out suggesting it hit him.

I'd rather call and let MP1 get his other bet from the button. And I'm not sure I'm calling here.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:52 AM

I wouldn't even put 1 bet in on the river.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:12 AM

It's a big pot so it's tough to fold TPTK but that board is about as scary as it gets. There's not much chance that a bluff raise will scare off many people. If you had a read that MP1 was capable of folding 2 pair in a big pot with a scary board then maybe it would be an OK option. But without a read don't like getting tricky here. That leaves calling or folding. Unless you're up against a couple of morons or a couple of very tricky players then you're probably a loser here. In fact, I'd say you'd lose nearly all the time here against a "normal" opponent. Since you have no reads that's all you can really go by, so I guess folding becomes the best option. Save a bet.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 AM

Any overcall that you'd want out (a hand that beats yours) is most likely not folding this river. Honestly, when is the last time you think you saw anyone fold a straight or even two pair on 3/6? Just fold and move on.