Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Wanna come work for me for free?

Hey. This is sorta spontaneous, but I will post it on impulse anyway. I manage a reasonable portfolio for myself. I do this the horrible old fashioned way of picking stocks and not buying vanguard index funds. As I have mentioned before, I have over a decade of managing real money in the real world in the hedge fund business.

I was thinking...I am old and lazy and often half ass my work on companies I am nevertheless investing substantial money in. This is partly because I just don't feel like doing certain simple tasks, like putting together a spreadsheet of certain data over many quarters.

I have a wealth of experience analyzing public stocks. I play with live ammunition, as we say. I would consider taking on an "intern" who would do some work with me on specific ideas. In return, you would get to see how I think about companies and stocks. I would also obviously be around to answer questions about stocks and careers in general. I could also write a reference and/or make introductions if you are talented (I am not promising this one...I don't lie to my friends and if you are mediocre I can't do this).

You would very quickly be able to figure out if the arrangement was worth your time. If you are young and have interest in the markets, there is no question it would be.

Knowing a bit about accounting (just accounting 101) is very very helpful. Being action oriented and having quick turnaround is 100% critical. You could listen in when I call management teams for further exposure (this is sporadic, as I said I am lazy).

PM me if you are interested. I have to give some thought as to exactly how I would do this. If you are in the SF Bay Area, big plus.

I will explain via emai/PM more details about my background and why this would be interesting, but I don't want to post them here.

Oh, and Hawk, you can't apply.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Wanna stop the mental masturbation on this forum & do the real thing?

I forgot to mention one thing. I would give anyone with whom I worked full disclosure as to my personal holdings and buy/sell decisions, FWIW (within a short window after execution).
Old 10-28-2006, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Wanna stop the mental masturbation on this forum & do the real thi

Holla!
Old 10-28-2006, 02:45 AM

I qualify for the SF Bay area part. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2006, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Wanna stop the mental masturbation on this forum & do the real thing?

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to mention one thing. I would give anyone with whom I worked full disclosure as to my personal holdings and buy/sell decisions, FWIW (within a short window after execution).

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking as someone who already has this privilege, that is an amazing offer in itself.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:52 AM

Could you give more details? Is this meant to be a learning experience for the intern, or are you looking for someone with solid knowledge of the market, but who could also benefit from learning more?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you give more details? Is this meant to be a learning experience for the intern, or are you looking for someone with solid knowledge of the market, but who could also benefit from learning more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think those are 2 separate questions.
1) I think people with very different levels of current experience could benefit from collaborating with me. It is just that people with a lot of experience already would learn different things.

2) That is about whom I choose...I would approach this much like I would have at my old firm. It's a balance. There are multiple important dimensions here...drive, intelligence, demonstrated interest, accounting, experience with stocks, etc. There are also basic things like familiarity with excel, available time, rapport, etc.

I guess the ideal candidate would excel in all of these. Real people will be attractive in some of these aspects and weaker in others.

In terms of "pre reqs", some knowledge of accounting is pretty important. Trying to pick stocks with no knowledge of accounting is a little like trying to win in poker without knowing what the cards are. (oh I am sure somebody will tell me that's a bad analogy but it's early here on the West Coast).
Old 10-28-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of "pre reqs", some knowledge of accounting is pretty important. Trying to pick stocks with no knowledge of accounting is a little like trying to win in poker without knowing what the cards are. (oh I am sure somebody will tell me that's a bad analogy but it's early here on the West Coast).

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you mean in terms of deciphering 10K's and stuff like that. I thought you wanted help with your taxes, lol.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:13 PM

Can you (and your selectee) post an update in three months or so? I think it would be interesting to hear how this works out.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you (and your selectee) post an update in three months or so? I think it would be interesting to hear how this works out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. The selectee is also welcome to speak to people have worked for me in the past (in an organization, not like this). I take about 65% of the responsibility for this working out well.