Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Cotton Bowl

Those cheating bastards from TT didn't have the officiating crew from Lubbock to bail them out today.

Oh, and Brodie Croyle, the 70's called. They want their haircut back.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Cotton Bowl

today at the game i saw a guy dressed in actual cotton with a bowl worn on his head as a hat.

oh yeah, like i have said for months i will take defense over that spread offense any day of the week, i remember saying that alabama wasn't ever going to steamroll anyone and that their game was to play a field position and a time possession game, they did exactly this (38:58/21:02) and this kept the ball out of tech's hands. well played and fun to watch...roll tide!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:20 PM

Even though Tech got screwed on the Bama TD (his knee was clearly down when he caught the ball), Bama dominated the game and deserved to win. Tech fans aren't going to sit around and cry for months about a bad call like some other Big 12 teams do.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though Tech got screwed on the Bama TD (his knee was clearly down when he caught the ball),

[/ QUOTE ]
i might be confused, wasn't the bama touchdown a screen pass in which he went untouched (b/c of a few key blocks) to go 70+ yards?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i might be confused, wasn't the bama touchdown a screen pass in which he went untouched (b/c of a few key blocks) to go 70+ yards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but his knee was down when he caught it. Again, Tech has no room at all to complain about officiating, but this was definitely a bad call.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:43 AM

tech,

i understand you are not complaining at all, i am just curious b/c i was sitting on the other side of the field (i did have binoculars but wasn't looking through them at the time) and sometimes you miss things. looking at the still pic i see a reciever standing up and not with a knee down.

in this picture he is catches a ball (nobody is around him) and he takes off untouched right? am i missing something? cause surely if it was controversial the tech fans would have been booing, they booed if the official bent over the wrong way.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:55 AM

grrrr

I missed the play live flipping channels. Do you guys have a link to video? That still doesn't give me enough to be conclusive.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:59 AM

yeah i am waiting for him to get me a video cause i don't really want to argue with anyone when i could have been mistaken since i was all the way across the field.

but the way it went game speed and on the replay on the jumbo-tron was a little screen pass in the flat all alone, hits him in the numbers (he doesn't have to go down and get it), he takes off untouched and scores.

like he said it doesn't matter but he has piqued my interest since nobody booed or anything.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
grrrr

I missed the play live flipping channels. Do you guys have a link to video? That still doesn't give me enough to be conclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you notice in the picture, the ball is still in the air.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in this picture he is catches a ball (nobody is around him) and he takes off untouched right? am i missing something? cause surely if it was controversial the tech fans would have been booing, they booed if the official bent over the wrong way.

[/ QUOTE ]

In college football, you are down when your knee hits (with possession of the ball of course). You do not have to be touched. This picture has the ball still in the air, but I just posted this one from another board because it was the best quality. Other sites have the whole sequence frame by frame and his knee is still down when he catches it. I also slowed it down on Tivo and it was pretty conclusive.

I'm really not bitter about this particular play. However, I am frustrated as a football fan and as a bettor about officiating in general. Iowa got absolutely hosed in its bowl game. The Alamo Bowl was embarrassing. The Tech/OU game earlier this year was awful. Etc., etc., etc.