Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 AM

Default I know I am not playing better, why am I winning now?

A little background..
I never really made any money playing ring games so I stuck with small online MTT's and SNG's. I was pretty much a make my money back plus a little in this format. Then my favorite place to play no longer takes US players so I have to move.

I put money at FTP, UB, and AP, all of which have tournament formats that really don't suit me. Either too many players or too long to play.

So here I am never really making any money at ring games up to $3/$6. I decide to try a higher level and start playing $5/$10 and $10/20 limit HE and O/8. Now I don't think I play any better but I sure play a lot tighter. My preflop game is TAG as I almost never come in unless I am raising but my postflop game is more passive unless I really have something good. What I am finding is really the same players as the lower limits except they are aggressive instead of passive. More betting/raising than checking/calling. I have been using this against them to trap where I couldn't do that in the lower limit games. I have also noticed a lot of bluffing from the players at this level that I didn't see too much of at the lower levels. This kind of bothers me because I don't like to bluff a lot so I tend to fold hands that are not good enough to win when someone bets or raises after the flop.

I do take notes on all players and keep track of my play with poker tracker. I also look up other players on some online sites that rate players just to get a feel for where they might if I have never seen them before.

So now I am scratching my head over this. Did I get better or is my style more suited to this level? I never play for more than 2 hours at a time and if I am ahead by $100 or so I get up and do something else. If I am down I play even tighter until I get at least back to even or loose my buy-in.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: I know I am not playing better, why am I winning now?

your play might be suited better for these games, but sounds like mostly variance to me
Old 10-27-2006, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...but sounds like mostly variance to me

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that too. I don't have enough games under my belt at this level to really tell yet. I have been playing at this level since the bill was signed.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:45 AM

I don't think you have a solid understanding of the game in all honesty.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:00 AM

Ahhh you remind me of me...in my younger days lol. Ok well im still only 23 but i used to do the same thing as you. I learned how to make money playing sng's then moved onto LHE. I started out at the 1/2 and moved up to 5/10(in progression).Each level I would tighten my game up just as a matter of course. I would play tight aggressive-preflop and in retrospect probably too passive postflop. This made me win $100. Then i got greedy. I wanted to win more and wasnt satisfied with my $100 and wanted to make more. RIght about that point your cards will even out, and the beats will come. This is when you have to learn how/when to play your marginal hands. I spent time watching alot of higher limit players to see what they do. If you are happy playing safe then dont switch your style. If you want to increase your profit i suggest loosen up a bit, but nothing drastict. And for god sakes stay in the game even after you make a good profit. Let your money work for you. Worst thing that happens is you break even, but the potential for a bigger gain is tremendous.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you have a solid understanding of the game in all honesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the insight. this is why i am asking. maybe something more constructive would be in order rather than restate in fewer words what i have already stated....
Old 10-30-2006, 01:40 AM

kaunman24, Thanks for the insight. After I posted this I went on a huge run and have struggled since with a mirror to what you presented. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...if I am ahead by $100 or so I get up and do something else. If I am down I play even tighter until I get at least back to even or loose my buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very bad strategy. When you're doing good it often means the game is good or/and that you're playing well, and that's why you should play longer sessions when this happens.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 AM

You are playing tighter and if I read you correctly, not taking your weak hands as far. You are observing and studying your opponents and taking advantage of their mistakes (they bluff too much.) When you are down, instead of tilting and playing more hands, you are buckling down. It sounds to me like you are playing better.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...if I am ahead by $100 or so I get up and do something else. If I am down I play even tighter until I get at least back to even or loose my buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very bad strategy. When you're doing good it often means the game is good or/and that you're playing well, and that's why you should play longer sessions when this happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention that. I was in that exact position the other night and I just kept playing until I was tired. The chip spewer was still there and reloading but I just needed to get up for a while.

Thanks for the info. I guess when I am on a winning streak I need to not get carried away and start playing too many hands. I have seen this with other players. Very tight until they make a few hundred, then bam! In every hand until they loose all that money and oop! Tight again.