Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 02:28 AM

Default FTP $8/$16 - 6th Street Play

Never played with villain before, and only 20 hands into this session. had a 46% VP$IP at the time, but not sure if he was just running good, or actually fishy.

Only hand noteworthy before this was where he completed with an 8. Another player called with a K, and paired the K and double bet. Villain in this hand called all the way down, then raised 7th and won with aces up. He either had AA8 to start, or 8A8. Not sure which.

Game seems to be the standard FTP game where it's generally tight, but a player can become a loosey goosey fish after one beat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also standard some players trying out tricky moves, but again unfortunately no reads on whether villain will do that or not.

Anyhoo, here's the hand up to 6th:

7 Card Stud High ($8/$16), Ante $1.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.31 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.31 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.66 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.66 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___???

What's the play on 6th here versus an unknown?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:51 AM

Default Re: FTP $8/$16 - 6th Street Play

Tough spot ... most of his possible hole holdings beat you (x2, TT, JJ, AA), only thing you are really ahead of is QQ in the hole or some other low garbage pair. Check/call to river? On the bright side your boat outs are live.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:10 AM

As Salche said, this is a tough spot.

I think I'd check 6th and call if he bet. If I didn't improve on river, I'd have to reluctantly check-call again. If I did improve on river, I'd bet.

OTOH, if he checked behind me on 6th I'd bet the river regardless of whether I improved or not.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:36 AM

check/call.

I think you're either way ahead or way behind by sixth. He really hasn't shown any aggression & may think you're on a steal since it was folded around. Or...he's got a monster.

He may put you on 9's & 7's.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:23 PM

Bet, call down if raised. If he's solid he's not calling $6 more with dead deuces, and if he's not solid he has tens up most of the time. He probably would have showed up by now if he had TT or JJ or AA in the hole. Most likely he just doesn't think you have a hand, since you had the high card with a totally live suit.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:22 PM

I'm feeling less pessimistic than others, but I'm not sure that makes this a bet. This is a high ante game and though your sample size is small your opponent seems loose. He could have all sorts of things down. A deuce is dead and god bless him if he got to 6th with just a pair of twos. Putting him on a pocket pair higher than nines here is silly since he never showed aggression. I think you are very likely to be ahead here. However, he'll almost certainly bet if you check, and you don't want to get raised (in part because I don't think you can fold if raised here). And if he has really nothing still and you bet he could even fold since your bet shows some strength (which you don't want if he really has nothing).

So I check call here and river probably, hoping to induce bluffs. I could even make a case for check call 6th, then bet out on the river. He'd have to have a monster to raise you on the river, so you could fold safely PROBABLY. But I would probably go with the check call again just to avoid wanting to kill myself.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:26 AM

Well, it wouldn't occur to me not to bet. Do you think he called on third street with split Deuces with a Deuce out?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:26 PM

Thanks guys. I bet 6th street(and he just called), but after looking through the hand I think versus an unknown, I prefer check-calling. His range is actually quite large not fully knowing the player. Assuming he's a tad tight and is the standard for a lot of these games, I think we can eliminate 2x where x is greater than 9, but less than A. Seems in these games, people value 2A2 a lot more than 2K2. Also not sure whether KQh would be part of that mix. I think it's far more likely that villain is on TT-AA in the hole, and waiting till 6th to raise. With KK obviously very unlikely, his range if he's tight would have us crushed, so check/calling seems better, as he's likely to bet a majority of hands in that spot, especially if he's loose.

Anyhoo as said, I bet 6th, and he called. 7th I hit another K, and filled up. I bet out here, when check/raising would've been better, and was the main reason I looked over the hand again in the first place. He called, and had QQ in the hole.